Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

new iBook screen is gorgeous!

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Jakeman, May 30, 2001.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    12.1'' with 1024x768 pixels makes for a very crisp very impressive display indeed! I just saw one. OS X looks great on it too. Since OS X's GUI is already really "big", the high res 12.1'' screen really balances the OS X GUI well. I'm definately getting one. I'm not sure whether to go with the DVD or CDROM though. I was watching matrix on the iBook w/ DVD and it looks great. note: their DVD software is up to v2.6 now (it seemed to run smoother than my v2.2, i think that's it, on my 400 G4). The speakers are great too.

a couple nifty things to note: the optical drive ejects by using the F12 key which couples as the disk eject key in the new iBooks. And the new iBooks have that weird composite video port on the side. The iBooks come with an adapter which adapts that port to a standard DB15 VGA port which can hook up to any VGA device (external monitors, LCD projectors, etc). VERY NICE INDEED! And for $1299? Hellz yeah!

2. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    spend the extra few hundred and get the hybrid drive????

3. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    it's 1999$ for me ;( hell with that, I'm getting it anyway... it's just a matter of time.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    hmmm, maybe. The combo drive is only 4x writing speed though. I don't think I would use the write feature that often either... well, maybe. :D

5. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    does the book come with a nice optical mouse? or any mouse at all?

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Since the usb ports are on the left it's very hard to use a mouse...unless you get a cable ellongator.

7. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    yeah...it's hard to buy the iBook when the titanium Powerbook is staring at you from right next door...I went to the apple store last weekend and had to be dragged out by my girlfriend almost...sooo much stuff, soo much stuff...soooooo muuch stu...*ouch*

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    the only major differences between the TiBook and the iBook is the screen size (15.2 wide vs 12.1 normal), the system bus (100MHz vs 66MHz), and the processor (G4 vs G3). Everything else is basically the same. I won't be doing any mobile photoshop so I don't need the TiBook.

9. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ditto. The ibook will do anything that I actually do while traveling quite well, for $1000 less (I want the DVD version).

10. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    it's so pretty though, the iBook is cute, but the tiBook is magnificent...I was just saying it's hard to buy the one when the other is sitting right next to it.

Hitometer: 53,587,313 since 1995