Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

New DVD burner

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by SpocKirk, Jun 8, 2005.

1. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    I just got a Sony DRU-720A internal DVD+-RW/+-R/+R DL burner. WTF(ish) is the difference between + and -?

Also, I could only find DL disks at CompUSA for $100 for a 25-spindle, so I won't be trying out that feature for a while.

Are there any cheap/free progs to burn DVD/CDs with a Mac? The drive didn't come with any Mac software, and all I have is Toast Titanium 5.1.4.

//edit: what burners are supported for iTunes burning? only superdrives? mine isn't supported.

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Really no difference between + and - just some compatibility notes with old box top players. But seriously, unless you have a dvd player from 1995 then you wont have any issues. I use - just because it's what I first used. Others use + for the same reason.

I think Roxio was the main program for macs. You can also use the built in burning in the OS, or the console. I don't know what the command is but you can just point it at an iso/img/dmg and it will burn it for you.

Jakeman likes this.
  3. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    why is double layer media so much more? at CompUSA, a 25-pack of DL was $100. a 50-pack of single layer was $40. do they really think anyone will buy that?
    single layer - $0.18/GB
    double layer - $0.48/GB

the capacity isn't even doubled, 4.7GB and 8.5GB.

BTW, I just noticed something. with my burner, DVD+RW burns at 8x, but DVD-RW burns at 6x. I'll prob go with + just for the little speed boost

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Supply and demand. Single layer has been out for a long time and lots of people are buying it. Double layer is newer and fewer people buy it so they charge more to recoup infrastructure costs.

At the moment no one's willing to download any 9gig linux isos. It would have to be a really great linux to justify downloading that much. Although for personal backup of linux isos I could see buying the dual layer so you don't have to compress the linux or cut out all the extra packages.

5. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    I could see buying the dual layer for the simple reason as those dastardly individuals who are not me that copy dvds wouldn't have to take the time to compress the movies down, and also lose the higher level of quality found in the uncompressed dvds. But for $4 a DL? a little rich...

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, when you're paying that much for the disc you might as well buy the linux from the linux store.

7. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    yeah. if you rent the movie, then copy it, you're paying $8.50 for a movie, and you might as well just buy it so you don't spend all the time doing it.

I didn't know about having to compress DVDs to copy them. I don't know how to copy DVDs.

8. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jack-o might have issues with explaining on here (can PM if interested). But yes, one sided DVDR dont hold enough to just copy a dvd straight. It would have to be compressed.

go-go netflix!

9. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Just to let you know there is a program called DVD Shrink that is awesome for movie compression. Of course it is only to be used for back up copies. :D

10. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  11. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    no, I just meant to tell you I have no idea how to copy, I didn't say I wanted to know how.

Hitometer: 53,557,618 since 1995