Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Need help!

Discussion in 'Mac' started by mud, Aug 7, 2001.

1. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok, here is my little problem, i want OS X, ive got a V5 5500, is OS X worth the trade yet? switch a v5 5500 for a PCI Rage 128 to use OS X? or wait and buy a new computer with a GeForce3?

2. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    There's no way to justify swapping out a Voodoo 5 for a Rage 128. Everything runs in 9.1, what do you really need X so badly for? I have a V5 on my gaming PC and I love it, sure it may not be as fast or have all the AGP features of a GeForce 3, but the image quality is better, and since I play a lot of flight simulations the Voodoo5 is the preferable card. Now if you play more FPS games, like most here, then you could pick up a Radeon relatively cheap, and the performance would be about the same.

--Haite

3. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    about the same? not really.. the Radeon be a little slower in UT and much faster in Q3.. but if i remember, mud was a big UT guy and if you plan on playing UT with a GeForce you'd have to use their not so good OpenGL to get a decent speed out of it. ('decent' in no way means 'fast')

4. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    hmm my V5 5500 get the same fps in UT that a Geforce 3 gets, its just the the Geforce 3 keeps the same fps all the time :p mine kinda dies on HUUUUUGE open maps...

5. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Big UT fan, evern more so with Marathon Ressurection.

6. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    decent UT speeds? I'm just curious, what you you getting Auto?

My 'decent' speeds in UT go from 50fps on boards with up to 24 players, to small 8 player games where i'm at about 65fps.

This is running on OpenGL, which is better than RAVE in every possible way. RAVE just sucks, and since Macs don't support Direct3D, i wouldn't use any but OpenGL.

And the reason the GeForce3 is performing under par right now is due to nVidia not knowing how to make good drivers. That, and the GeForce3 is only a little better than the Geforce2 Ultra for old games. Once the new games come out that fully support it, there will be a huge difference.

And last time i checked, Q3A used OpenGL. Therefore, your argument makes no sense. First it's faster in Q3A which uses OpenGL, then it's not so good.

As for OS X, i'd wait for 10.1 to buy it. I still haven't found anyone who really likes it more than OS 9.

7. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    Q3A is 100% OpenGL, UT uses OpenGL as a secondary API. the engine was mostly written to use with glide, so he's going to get better framerates with the voodoo 5 than he would with the radeon OR the GeForce3

dont blame the drivers, if its a driver problem they must have screwed up the PC drivers too, a buddy of mine just bought a GeForce3 for his windows box and he can only outrun my radeon by 8 fps at 1024x768. i dont know about you, but if i put the resolution much higher i cant read the chat text, and i dont have the time to stare at the top left of the screen while i try to decipher the 1/32" line of babble my teamates are typing at me.

one last point:
    Radeon = $149
    GeForce3 = $499

plus, if nVidia's release schedule remains constant we'll be seeing a GeForce3 Ultra sometime soon so this argument is pretty much moot.

8. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Need help!

Can you cooperate on missions? I wouldn't mind dusting off my flightstick and Falcon 4.0 for some co-operative dogfighting...

9. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    There's a lot more that affects the gameplay than just the graphics card. Hell, my friend gets 120+ FPS on his Windows box using a GF2 Ultra. There is a lot of optimizations you can do, and lot more things that determine your framerate than the graphics card. Hell, i get worse frames in UT on my PC ever since i switched to Windows 2K. That has nothing to do with the card itself.

If mud gets a new computer, i see no reason why he would want anything less than a GF3. It would beÓï“e a gamer who still uses the mono speaker on the front of the G4. If you want the best, you can't settle for anything less.

10. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: Need help!

It's the Voodoo5 in my gaming PC. The Mac version has such a small user base (since it was never that popular a game to begin with) that it never got all the end-user modifications that the PC side got. On the PC side they just came out with the eFalcon 1.10 executeable (an entirely new exe based on leaked source code from the official Microprose version 1.07), and the Realism Patch v5 (edits to the data files and some sweeping hex edits to the exe that make the game more realistic: new weapon and aircraft data, avionics changes, etc.). My Mac's video card supports only RAVE, which was hacked into the Mac version at the last minute during the port, making it buggy and stuff. I don't really play Falcon on my Mac any more. It's the only game I like that the PC does better then my Mac, and about half the reason why I got a gaming PC in the first place.

--Haite

/edit: to clarify, the Mac and PC versions of Falcon are not multiplay compatible since the eFalcon exe is a new revision that's not been ported to Mac

11. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    How can you tell what your FPS are in UT? Is there a console command to display a FPS counter or something?

--Haite

12. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    Go to the console and type "timedemo 1" without the quotes.

13. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Cool, I get an average of 60.09 fps at 1280x1024 with all settings max on the Liandri Central Core in a Team Deathmatch with 10 players (9 bots, just used it to test).

--Haite

14. Lord_Kip

Lord_Kip Banned

Market Rating:
    What I Think.
    This is just the way it is for me, but if u are thinkning about getting os X, don't just yet. I have play around with it and if All the programes u need are not OS X friendly then wait. It is a real pain to Run the OS 9.1 screen for apps that are not OS X friendly.

15. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ya, that can vary depending on what's happening. To just display that stuff, go to Tools > TimeDemoStatistics (i think). As for the console commands, right when you start, enter Timedemo 1. And after it ends, enter Timedemo 0. Then it will tell you what your average was during that time. It's much more accurate than just looking at the Average running on the side of the screen.

16. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Maybe later I'll play a couple games with varying numbers of bots, and I'll post back what I get.

--Haite

17. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    i think the perpetual graphics card debate needs to be put on hold until we actually have real cards to compare.. i.e. GeForce3 Ultra and Radeon 2

its not entirely unheard of for nVidia to release a card that is better than what's out at the release, but in no way reflects the true potential of the graphics core. then 6 months later they put out the REAL card with most of the features/power promised in the original and tag it with the 'Ultra' title. (and charging way too much in the process.. smells like the microsoft business acumen)

18. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Kind of like a (WIndows 98) second edition ;)?

--Haite

19. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    exactly

Hitometer: 53,855,656 since 1995