Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

My new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac' started by gigapower, Mar 18, 2002.

1. gigapower

gigapower Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm about to press the order submit button on this Mac, just wanted some reassurance that I am doing the right thing with my money:

733Mhz G4
    256MB RAM
    Radeon 7500
    CD-RW
    56K modem(won't be used unless my Cable Modem goes down)

All for $1,202 new from Apple.

I just personally couldn't justify the extra $251 for a 800Mhz when the specs are the same except for 67Mhz speed difference in the processors.

So what do you guys think, will this be enough of a machine for when WarCraft III rolls around this summer?

2. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    that'll be plenty for WC3, and WoW

3. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Wow... Apple still sells 733 models??? and with the Radeon 7500??? Nice!!

/kicks self for not knowing sooner and purchasing current one with GeForce2 MX

Last edited: Mar 20, 2002
  4. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    its not as fast as the old graphite 733 because this model doesnt have a L3 cache.. but the radeon 7500 is a pretty sweet card, i have one in my dual Ghz box.

5. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    I knew about the 733 QuickSilver not having Lv 3 cache but I all this time I thought that the 733 Graphite was doing the Lv 2 at half CPU speed... I just looked it up and that's only the 466 & 533 models. The 667 and 733 Graphite both did full cpu speed Lv 2... PLUS the nice 1 MB Lv 3. (1/3 cpu speed) :D I like!!

Hmm says here that even though the QuickSilver models with Lv 3 have 2 MB of it, it's 1/4th the processor speed instead of the 1/3rd that the Graphite did. Of course the newer 933 & DP 1GHz have DDR Lv 3... Interesting.

http://www.apple-history.com/quickgallery.html

So you're certain that the Graphite model was faster? When I had the local store place a hold on a "Graphite G4 733" and went in two days later to purchase, I found myself face-to-face with a QuickSilver model... Imagine my surprise! Now I really prefer the look of the Graphite model but I took the thing anyways, thinking that it should be good enough. Well it is an amazing system but if the Graphite is faster then I think I'll just trade this thing for a Graphite model then... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2002
  6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    nice system. that should definitely run Warcraft 3. WoW is another story... it prolly won't be out for 2 more years (there will be a lot better hardware then).

7. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    positive. plus it has a superdrive.

8. gigapower

gigapower Peasant

Market Rating:
    I can't find a Graphite model though for the $1202 price that I can get the Quicksilver for. Plus the graphite has the "old" GeFORCE2 MX card in it :p

Hitometer: 53,830,617 since 1995