Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

my new mac mini system

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Jakeman, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I had previously taken off the bottom panel for better airflow, but I never quantified the difference. Faced with overheating problems again I decided to try removing the panel again. Removing the panel shaves off 20 degrees C while playing WoW. How ****ing stupid is that. The difference is in the air intake for the fan. The airflow out the back is suddenly huge.

2. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    Is that enough to keep it within allowable limits? Imagine how much damage has been done across all mac mini systems just because of that panel. They could have made it a grate to keep the protection of a solid panel but still improve cooling.

Is it just because they don't expect their customers to put it under that much strain? The stranglehold Apple has on design is supposed to make it possible to have the best in quality.

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Maybe. Right now I am both undervolting and running bottomless, and it's no longer overheating. The problem is that undervolting results in crashes sometimes in games. I may try increasing the voltage to achieve better stability now that the bottom is off again. I can probably find a balance. What I do know is that bottomless isn't enough. Undervolting is also needed to avoid overheating in games.

It helps that it's winter. My apartment is cooler.

4. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah, it's harder to test in winter.

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    2 months of undervolting + bottomless has resulted in no crashes or overheating problems. I think I finally have a low power gaming system. We'll see how it holds up when the weather gets warmer.

Hitometer: 53,853,999 since 1995