Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Music

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beeble, Apr 15, 2003.

1. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    and these rules usualy go to hell anyways.

2. jesse_us10

jesse_us10 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Really, how many books have you gotten from the library and made copies of so you could return the origanal to the library.

Probably none. Its not realistic with book with the amount of time envolved, yet with music it takes only minutes.

3. jesse_us10

jesse_us10 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Now back to the music issue. If people stop making money in the music industry they will find work somewhere else. That means less music will get published.

I just highly recommend buying a cd every now and then.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    People will buy a good album, sales have shown that. Other albums that have sold poorly which has been blamed on piracy normally suck ass. Artists need to realize that unless they put out good quality music on a cd full of other good songs, no one is going to spend $20 on that shit when they can just download the one song they want.

Would you buy a cd 40 minutes long with only one good song on it? **** no. Would you buy a cd 80 minutes long with all good songs? Yes.

5. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    I do... but like cow said. I buy the CD if its got more than jsut one or two good songs. Ive got tons of cd's that i have bought and paid the full 20 for.

on the note about books. actualy i have done to. I used to belong to a book club. I would just photocopy important segments and return the book for a refund. of course that doesnt do much help for books with just one big story. but those i buy on paperback usualy. What i was commenting on when i brought this back up was how our society sees librarys. And how they view stealing music whens its just about the same thing.

6. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    Libraries are cool. They educate the people. Knowledge is power.
    The power belongs to the people!
    I would go so far as to say libraries are important for democracy.

I think you can borrow some music at swedish libraries, but I´m not sure.

I´ve never bought a cd for myself in my entire life, but I only started listening to music a few years ago and the music I listen to you cannot get at an ordinary record shop.

7. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    I would buy a cd...if they didn't charge $20. Like others have said, it is a lot of money if there is only one or two good songs. I was reading an article and it talked about how if the music industry took an example from Elvis and used his same profit margins (they talked in percents and such so inflation isnt really a factor) a cd that now costs $20 would only cost like $8. If cds only cost $8-10 I would buy the original (always better sound) instead of downloading/ripping songs. People in the industry would start making millions instead of hundreds of millions. Musicians might start playing for the sake of music. So many good bands go mainstream and start to suck, and I'm not one of those people that hate bands because they are mainstream. I just think that I shouldnt have to pay $60 for a garden seat at a Phish concert I saw Dave Matthews Band four years ago for $15, it was amazing. Now if I wanted to go to a Dave concert at Alpine Valley I would have to pay $100+ for a decent seat...it is ridiculus.

8. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    remember how (i think it was jake) posted the thingy about the lawsuit that said anyone who bought a CD in the last year was entitled to a free one, because some music company was found guilty of price-fixing?

too bad nobody signed up for it.

As far as buying music, I've found that most of the songs I get are not the actual album tracks, they are slightly different (either demos or radio edits or something else). I'll download five or six songs at random, and If I like three I'll buy the CD. Else I just trash everything I don't like.

It's important to show a band you like them by supporting them, but it's imporants to also realize they make almost no money compared to what they make at concerts, which will never lose their potency because hey, they're live.

9. jesse_us10

jesse_us10 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Kaeric the price of a concert has to do with supply and demand. Dave Matthews can charge that price because some poeple will pay it. Not me. Think of it as you will but thats the way it goes.

I have not payed $20 for a cd in a while $12-$15 maybe even $9-$10 yes but not $20. I agree that there should be 3+ songs on a cd to buy it. I guess most of you are too young or were not born to remember the albums. They also had 45's then which had 2 songs on it. you could get them for about $3-$4. 45's were the bread and butter of the music industry. You could just buy the songs you liked or buy the album. I've got 1 or 2 45's and a few albums but don't even have a record player. They tried doing the single cd's in the early 90's but that didn't go over very well and it soon died. So now we're left with just cd's.

OK enough history for one day.

10. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    sometimes its not just the band doing it. The record labels make them come out with something every 6 months or so?
    thats not a lot of time to perfect many good songs. so they just do random ones. either that or they get sued for not following contract agreements.
    no shit u can get music in swedish libraries kraahl.. lots its sweden. they are smarter than most politicians here in the US :-D ;)
    and more liberal... i wish i lived in sweden or a politicaly/societicaly (word?) country like it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  11. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yea, i think we have some 45s laying around somewhere...

12. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    Single cds with just one or two songs are quite common here, they are not so in the US and Canada?

13. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Not as much.

You can buy a whole cd for $10-15 or you can pay $5-10 for two songs.
    Personally, I'd rather dish out the extra $5 for 8-12 more songs depending on the cd.

I haven't paid full price for a cd in years. I either get them on sale at Media Play or Walmart or order them online. Through Amazon and Barnes and Noble you can get free shipping based on your order. (B&N is free for 2 or more items, Amazon is a monetary limrt, like $20 or more) and they're usually 20-30% off.

14. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I would. But then again, I've also been known to buy games for my clan members.

15. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    hey vok, buy me a computer!

16. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    vok, maybe you should consider buying us a MSC satelite?

17. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    No, and no. I'm don't have that much money. I was just pointing out that I've wasted a lot of money on stupid things.

18. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    hey, anyone here read that article in this week's TIME magazine that flamed music downloaders? it really pisses me off.

19. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    waste some money on me plz. kthx. :)

i wub you!

20. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    $99,000 in the first 18 hours... not too shabby of Apple

Hitometer: 53,946,731 since 1995