Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Moveable dock

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Moose, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    this little unix hacks kinda scare me. I'll let you guys screw up your systems, then i'll consider it. :p

3. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Beats me man. I tries it and it kept telling me that the file didn't exist. I guess it just isn't meant to be. I am not planning to hack the hell outta the OS, just want to have some fun and try to get more comfy with it!

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, I saw that a while ago, but I think I like where my dock is right now.

5. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    hehe, i did that to my dock a few weeks ago.. i liked it on the right, but the bottom seems to be the best place for it

6. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    also, its a lot easier to just navigate your way to the dock in finder, control + click on it and "show package contents" then open up /Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DockMenus.plist

leave that window open and su to root in the terminal, type "open -e " be sure to leave a space after the -e

then drag & drop dockmenus.plist into the terminal, and poof! it types the path for you :)

then just edit 1013 and 1014, changing "command" to "menu", save then control + click on the dock divider and move it around to your heart's content

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    :eek: auto is smart. :retard: :D

8. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    What is the default root password? I tried the one for my admin account but it did not work.

9. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hey I got it to work! :hump:

I figured out how to change the root password, but I still had problems getting the terminal to do what I wanted it to do. So, I just logged out and then logged back in as the root user and manually opened the DockMenu.plist file into TextEdit, then made the changes. (You have to be logged in as the root user for this to work, or the file will be read-only).

Here's a question for Auto (or anyone else who may know): While logged in as the root user, when I right-clicked on the Dock application I had the option to move it to the trash. Hypothetically speaking, if I wanted to get rid of the Dock altogether, would that work? Or would that F up the whole OS?

Here's another question: If the capability to move the Dock has been there all along, why wouldn't Apple have the option turned on to begin with?

10. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Because the only people who care about where the dock is would take the time to find out how to do it.
    It'd just cause more confusion for newbie users.

11. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    instructions on getting root to work correctly
    what you have to do is open up netinfo manager and go to the Domain menu : security: enable root user

you will then be prompted to enter a root password since there probably isnt one yet, once thats done you can disable root again if you want (i did) and open up the terminal and #su to root.

also if you're having trouble doing stuff because you dont have permission you can open the terminal #su to root and type "exit" then quit terminal and you have root access until you restart the computer

about deleting the dock.. i wouldnt do that

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ahh, I didn't try it that way, but that may be easier than how I did it. I saw on a BB somewhere that you can type sudo passwrd root in the terminal, while you are logged in to your admin account. It will ask you for your admin password, and then it will let you change the root password. I was able to log in as the root user after that.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    :eek: you guys better be careful playing with the root acct. When you are logged in as root there is no limits on what you can do... as in all safety implementations are disabled. So you can easily do something that can damage the OS or something and if you are logged in as root it will do it happily without asking you, "are you sure?"

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Sound advice. The only thing I did was make the Dock moveable, and only because I read exactly how to do it. I wouldn't go mucking around in the root acct unless I knew what was happening. I normally don't even log in as an admin.

15. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    There's a link to a new app that does everything for you at macnn.com

Just install the app and then it'll give you the options, but you have to enter your root password when changing in the program.

No more terminal!

16. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I spent about a half an hour and couldn't find it :(.

--Haite

Hitometer: 53,849,691 since 1995