Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

"missing" memory...

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Kaeric, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok, here's the issue: This morning I had roughly 25 Gb of free space on my hard drive. However, my computer suddenly tells me that I only have 1.8 Gb free. Now I know that I havn't used up that space today and so I went and got info on all the folders on my harddrive and added them together. Now I know that this space should be there because the used space also tells me that I should have 25 Gb. My first thought was a virus (whoah... a virus on a mac) and so I ran Norton Anti-virus. However after I got a ways through the scanning i got that big grey error screen that tells me i need to restart my computer. This happened twice. So my parents are too cheap to get broadband and, sadly, use AOL. Since I just got this computer i just installed AOL from one of those SPAM mail discs that AOL sends everyone. This is the only place I really think I could have gotten the virus (if it is indeed a virus) because I use no p2p services and havn't opened any email attachments or gone on any less than reputable web sites or anything. Perhaps this is a counterfeit AOL disc with some STD on it? Now I am not really sure what to do. Norton doesn't work and I can't figure out where this memory "went". Should I wipe the drive and reinstall OS X? (A very unpreferable option because it would cause me to have to reinstall all my apps/games/music, etc, etc, etc....really annoying and very time consuming). aaaah...help me someone

2. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sounds like AOL screwed up a bunch of sectors on your disk somehow? At the very least, I would try to grab a good third-party disk analysis/repair utility like diskwarrior, or maybe tech tool pro to see if it can detect any problems (outside of a virus), before going the ultimate reformat route, anyway.

3. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    ok, I will see if I can grab a copy of Diskwarrior or something. Anyone esle mind chiming in?

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Nice text block.

5. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    zeig heil, mein F├╝hrer

6. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    yea...well...shut up

7. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
  8. Kathleen

Kathleen MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    First off, get rid of Norton Anti Virus. There are no virii for OS X. You likely lost disk space due to OS X swap files. A restart should clear them out. If not, run Cocktail and use the Pilot Panel to check everything. You could also find out what is consuming your disk space specifically with OmniDiskSweeper. If you are comfortable with the UNIX command shell, you can use the UNIX utility 'du':

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  9. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    why don't you try an archive and reinstall off the X disc? It sounds like aol is causing you some kernel panics (thats the gray screen that rolls dow and says you have to reboot).

About the missing disk space, thats just weird...do like OsIriS and get a disk checking app.

10. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Kat, my uni requires me to have Norton before they will let me hook up with the network. However, my computer finally got off the drugs and realized that, WOW!, I really do have 31 Gb free. I dont know... fixed it self at some point. Thanks for the help though guys.

11. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    damn you kathleen, you stole all my good advice.

Hitometer: 53,597,524 since 1995