Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Might build computer...Maybe.

Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by dragonmaster, Dec 27, 2002.

1. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have comps with original optical drives, probably 8 years old and more. Obsolete comes to mind. But still works.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Mechanical device + Use = Wear = Less Life

3. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    = replace it. you'll have a career by the time it's dead.

4. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    You put further use on your hard drive anyway, and a head crash is a more severe issue in most cases. Mud and Guru are practical by their analysis as well that the difference in lifespan, on average, is probably inconsequential next to the developmental pace of technology.

5. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: Might build computer...Maybe.

completely wrong.

I can burn a full DVD in 30 minutes

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    If you can't afford a total hard drive crash then something is wrong. Hard drives are guaranteed to fail... have a backup plan.

7. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Might build computer...Maybe.

well i'm glad to hear it! seeing as i said 'usually'... and you have the best mac available.

8. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I said that a hard drive crash is a more severe issue, which it almost always is. Having to deal with backups and hard drive replacement is a lot more taxing than having one optical drive fail in the redundant setups of multiple optical drives in most modern computers. If a CD-RW drive fails chances are you'll have a DVD drive, and vice versa. Only partial functionality is temporarily lost, if anything at all. A computer with a failed optical drive will still run. A failed boot drive is a much bigger problem. Solvable, but with more effort and time lost.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    CD images stored on a hard drive access much faster than from an optical drive.

10. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    lol Like optical drives load things slowly anymore. They're quite fast now and most games install enough to HDD to increase speed anyways. Gone are the days of 2-4x speed CD-ROMs. Those were the days to complain.

My friend Ivan has about 8 computers in his home and he uses a program called Virtual Drive to create disc images. Works great and I recommend disc imaging to anyone who wants to save time or is too lazy to insert their CDs. :D

I just use my optical drives though. Two drives and a HDD is enough for me.

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    52x CDROM = 7.8MBps

Hard drives are much faster. Many games read information from their CD. The majority of my games load way faster when running from disk images.

12. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Might build computer...Maybe.

doesnt have much to do with how fast my DVDs burn.. 1x is 1x and 2x is 2x

13. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    I know but most games install the majority of their info to the HDD and optical drives are plenty fast now. Oh nos!!! I had to wait a few more seconds!! I never find myself waiting much on the CD and most games just need it for verification of ownership really.

Good trade-off to not have all that HDD space taken up but disc images are really handy and if you can do that then go for it. They're much nicer since you never need to switch discs.

14. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    By using disk images you store most of the data two times. Both in the installation and on the image, not very efficient (incorrect spelling?)

15. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes, not very efficient indeed. That's the main downside though the ease of use is nice.

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    CDs are 650MB. This is hardly anything considering how cheap hard drives are now (cost per MB).

Many games read information from their CD.

17. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    HDDs are cheap, but it also depends on how many games you play often, for me right now that includes BG (6 discs), TA (2 discs), SC, and WC3. Thats 10 discs, 6500mb, or more than 6 gigs, for 4 games.

18. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Uh, Jake? Why do you turn everything into a contest over which is superior by technology or stats? I was only saying that CDs are relatively fine to use and are so fast these days that it's not really nessessary to copy them all to your HDD. If you'll notice I also repeatedly stated that the HDD option is the superior one. Only a lamer would think that the wait times on computer optical drives are long these days when it comes to anything but installing games. If a person did think so, they're totally spoiled when it comes to access times. Hard disks are obviously superior. Anyone could tell you that but what I'm saying is that CDs have gotten to the point where it's not really a big deal. The larger benefit is that you don't have to swap CDs.

There is more to life than stats and figures. Relative comparisions are just as important to most people. If the job is done within a reasonably comparable time frame then it doesn't really matter when the object in mention usually isn't used that much for most major games. I haven't seen many games use the entire CD and not install the major components to HDD in years.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2002
  19. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    i put in the disc, install it, put it in when it asks me to, and play the game.... why does this need more thought?

20. SuperStar

SuperStar Peasant

Market Rating:
    It dont. Read and youll see thats not all. :)

Hitometer: 53,570,206 since 1995