Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

mail wont launch...

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Peadur, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    so i installed the new iChat AV on my dad's g4 tower. When I opened it, it acted as if it were opening, but the arrown under the app never appeared, and the program never started. So, I moved to a different computer. The prob is now when he tries to open mail, the same thing happens. You get a bounce or two frmo the dock, then nothing. So I did a software update thinking that the optimization at the end would take care of things. no dice. I threw away iChat and all files I could find that were not in the root. Nope. I pulled all the mail prefs that I could find (btw, restarting between every step) and it still dun work. Anyone know what is going on, and/or have an idea to fix?

2. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    update... need more help! I got diskwarrior (a de fragger) and driver (some kind of repair program) and did all that, and still no luck... anyone anyone?? I really dont want to reinstall system softaware from scratch!!!!

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    hmm - http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@119.zfHca3hoakL.4@.4aaaf19b

4. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    for those of you eagerly following the drama of this situation :yawn: (excuse me), problem solved. I only post just in case anyone runs into a similar problem, or could just use the solution. One of the suggestions that jake posted was to open console and look at the error report. For those of you who dont know (I didnt) console will give you a text readout of stuff that is going on behind the scenes of your computer. In this case, when I opened console (applications > utilities > console) it gave an error message saying that there was a file not found, and giving the path. Well I looked and lo!!! Said file was not there. So I took it off another mac, brought it over, started up in classic (you cant manipulate system files on your boot volume), put the file in his place, and the problem was fixed.
    Lesson learned:
    1) Console is good when you have no clue what is going on
    2) thwarting apples efforts to prevent you from messing with your system can indeed pay off.

5. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    you can modify whatever the hell you want, just get info and go to Ownership and Permissions.

Hitometer: 53,836,916 since 1995