Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Mage builds

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Scorpion, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    So now that 1.11 is out, what are your mage's build look like?

This is mine: 10/10/31

I really like this build cause I can nova, run for 15 yards and then cast either frostbolt + fireblast (3k+ with a 400-500 ignite proc) or fireball + fireblast (3k+ with a double ignite proc) and get double crit with the ignite proc. No more having to stand within 5 yards for the frostbolt + CoC crap since rogues can just blind you at the range. Also I get the defensive power of frost and with Ice barrier cooling down before the buff expires, it's great. Not to mention I have AoE options when I'm solo farming.

I was 0/16/35 for a while but I missed Arcane Concentration for when I AoE so I went to the 10/10/31 build.

Other option I'm contemplating on:
    This one mainly for the fire types that want to be elemental (mainly a scorch build then you nova and fireball + fireblast for huge crits and double ignite, probably 5k+ dmg total): 0/30/21

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I am currently 11/0/40. I am very happy with it, but frostbite sometimes interferes with aoe grouping. I also miss Winter's Chill, so I am considering eating up more of my arcane tree to get that.

Arcane Concentration is definitely nice for spamming mana-intensive aoe spells.

3. Twerg

Twerg MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    my 2 cents

Is it me or is Blizzard really trying to make everyone play an ice mage? I had a Mage in Beta and if you wanted to really do damage, Fire spec was the way to go. Choco went arcane because of the increased mana pool and lower threat (allowing me to tank for her with my lock or paly). Ice has gone from being a defensive build to the only real option now with 1.11. Where ice mages were once a rare sight, it seems like the ice mage is the farmers choice now and every mage is mostly frost after 1.11. It just seems to me that with each patch, Blizzard changes the talents so much in one direction that there is no diversity in builds any more and each class is becoming typical. They did the same to palies not long ago. Just my two cents (since I haven't really had time to play lately I live vicariously through our forum).

Twerg

4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Meh. Frost/Elementalist is just the new fad. Not that it's not a very solid build, because it is. However, everyone likes to think their build is teh uber and all others are second rate. So, with everyone jumping on the Frost/Elementalist bandwagon it's getting the most votes right now.

You're right, though, Frost mages are the new gold farmers, especially when they work in pairs. Fine with me, now they don't have to bug me for 200 fud and drink kk? ^_^

Reports of the Fire mage's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
    21/30/0
    still a great build. Meet the new Firemane, same as the old Firemane.

5. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I was a frost mage before 1.11, and I still am. I just like it. I'm 10/0/41.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  6. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, it's obvious none of you know how to play a frost mage. ;p

7. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    It is true that Blizz is trying to push us all in one direction. Frost use to be just good, now it's the dominant build. Reason is that Frost use to lack the crit ability that Fire had before 1.11, unless you nova/root. Now that Winter's Chill adds crit% it is on par with Fire as far as crit is concerned. For damage, ignite is a boost for Fire whereas Frost gets double damage for crit so this also evens out. Fire gets Impact and Frost gets Frostbite so that also evens out stun effects.

What puts Frost above Fire is the slow effect, shorter casting time, mana efficiency and the new and improved Ice Barrier (not to mention Ice Block to get you out of the worst situation ever). You can usually get 3 Frostbolts off before a mob reaches you (assuming they aren't immune to slowing effects) whereas with Fire you can get 2 Fireballs off and would have to run before the mob starts pounding on you. Ice Barrier is just too good to give up right now. It not only cools down before it expires, but it's also a cheap spell considering that it absorbs about 850 damage. And then there is Ice Block, need I say more?

Last of all, the major advantage that Frost have over Fire is the AoE spells. Both Fire and Frost have 2 AoE spells but Blastwave is on a 45 sec. timer and Flamestrike is a 3 sec. casting spell and does minimal dmg unless the mobs stay in the affected area. Blizzard may not crit but with talent points invested, you can keep mobs in the area for the duration and plus they'll be at 25% speed for another 4.5 sec so you can cast on them again. Even though it's channeling, it's an instant cast spell so you can cast a rank 1 and run just for the 4.5 sec, 25% speed effect. All it has to do is hit the mobs once and voila, you got your debuff and bought yourself some good distance.

Like I was telling people a year ago, Frost is the best way to level up and Fire was the best 1v1. I still think Fire is better for 1v1 action now though the field is a little closer than it use to be. Fire is only about 3-5% ahead of Frost in dps department where it use to be about 25-30%. AoE, Frost is still far superior than Fire, I can still group 30+ mobs during the invasion and easily kill them with half my hp left. In fact, I leveled up my mage in only 11 playing days just grinding and never really questing using the old Frost build. It's just a matter of practice and once you get the hang of it, it hardly takes any skill.

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    That's a strange build. I haven't really tried Magic Absorption but I can tell you that there isn't too many times you will fully resist anything. Also 10 resist is nothing since resists goes by threshold (75, 150, 225, 300) meaning you have to reach 1 threshold just for a % increase in actual resist. My current gear, all my resists are below 100 and I actually have about 5-10% resist rate overall. Even when I put on my Fire resist gear, I only get about 200 and I don't resist more than 20% of Fire dmg. IMO Arcane Concentration >> Magic Absorption. Blizzard really need to fix that if they truely want a mage to have any real resist.

If your build is meant to duel other Frost mages, then meh.

9. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    This is a myth. Every little bit helps. People think it's this way because fire resist always happens in increments of 0, 25, 50, 75, or 100% (assuming the spell lands, spell hit is an entirely different roll), but 210 will give you a better average resistance over time than 200 will, if ever so slightly.

BTW, against level 60 mobs or players, 200 FR will give you an average resistance to fire damage over time of exactly 50%.

(200 / (60 * 5)) * 0.75 = 50%

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  10. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'll have to have another talk with our tanks. As far as I know though, I don't fully resist spells from any of the mobs in the 40 man instances that often (maybe 5% of the time max). When I have my fire resist gear on for Vael, I have about 210 resist but I still constantly take fire damage even though it does get reduced by 25% or 50% ever so often. And from what I read, a blue posted how resistance works. I forgot the link but it's on the forums. Anyways, I do recall that it's 75 resist per threshold and that's what the warriors are telling me also.

Anyways, I was mainly refering to Magic Absorption and if you read it carefully, you have to fully resist to get that little bonus. I guess you could put points in it for 10 resist but that's a waste of talent points IMO cause that second bonus will have about a 0.5% of ever happening (I'm just throwing out a number but I know it's really really low). As a mage, we don't have much resist gear anyways so an extra 10 isn't gonna help too much (maybe give us another 3% resist rate??). Most of the resist gear are plate anyways since tanks need them more than anyone.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  11. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    resists are even better for mages now, one of the mages who has high FR was getting almost the same effect as essence of the red from the various drakes and blood-elfed draconids due to the mana back on resists

12. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    the blue post actually said "every bit helps" and that there are no true tiers, the rest of the thread was the playerbase calling bullshit based on the tiny samplings of data that they had.

13. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    My Dragonstalker stuff gives me, I think, 50 fire resist. Every so often in a BG I'll fully resist a pyroblast or a fireball. Those mages don't live long afterwards.

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:

O rly? Bring it... :D

Hitometer: 53,597,043 since 1995