Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

MacWorld SF 2001 Pictures.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hey all! These are my pics from the first day of MacWorld SF 2001.

The link below goes to a directory where I have all the images uploaded. Directory browsing is enabled on my server so you just have to click on the image link you want to see. I'm doing it this way rather than putting all the images in this post since the images total a size of about 2.3MB all together. I took 19 pictures.
    http://www.mac-gamer.com/archive/mwsf2001/

Notes on some of the pics:
    -Cowofwar. I took the pic called mooooo.jpg just for you. I think you'll appreciate it. [​IMG]
    -The image called pbmhz.jpg is an interesting spec I found in the system profiler on the new PB G4s. It says it's a 500MHz G4 (300 - 500). Me thinks there's something shadey going on here. Anyways, take it to mean whatever you want. None of the Apple people could comment on it.
    -The image called alpha.jpg is the insane heatsink on the new 733MHz G4s. I call it "alpha.jpg" because it looks alot like a heatsink cooler on PCs called an alpha.

I got to see the game "Sin" in action today. They had it loaded on an iMac using the default 8MB Rage 128 Pro (I think that's the right name?). It was running really good on the iMac. The gameplay was very good too. This game is a good one for people that don't have the latest G4 system but like first person shooters. The performance vs computer hardware and gameplay put it at the top of my list for new games. I bought it today. I'll let you know how it runs on my Radeon G4 system. But I have no doubt that it will be liquid smooth given its performance on the iMac.

I also got to play with Quake 3 on a new 733MHz G4 with GeForce 2MX. Performance is definately better than the Rage 128 Pro or the Radeon. I did a time demo 1 at 1024 max everything. It came out at 47.2fps average. With a little tweaking (without sacraficing visual quality) I was able to get well over 60fps (the "liquid" barrier). One thing I found disturbing was that the 16bit rendering was still crappy, even on the new Mac GeForce 2MX. 16bit rendering has always been weak on the Mac ATI cards, but on the GeForce? The GeForce cards have awesome 16bit rendering on PCs. What gives? Is this 16bit meshy haze a Mac specific issue?

------------------
    lamo mac boy

2. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
  3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    sure thing. I'll do a series of time demos today and get you the results.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

4. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    holy ****, that powerbook loks SO COOL!!!!
    Although I hate slot-loaders, they increase the chance of bending the disk when you push it in to the comp instead of droping it in like a trayloader.

Hey Jakeman, the Powerbook's 300-500 speed is because it has an ultra-power-sucking G4 processor (if they could have found a way to put it in an iBook they would have already by now). The speed depends on the available powerr in the machine: the G3 can't go above 466MHz, i think, so it only uses the ful speed and the power-draining Velocity Enginee when it has ful juice or it's plugged in. If you want the actual speed as of the situation you're running it in, download GaugePRO from www.newertech.com/.

733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733 733

------------------
    The only difference between me and Steve Jobs is that he is a god.

5. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Peasant

Market Rating:
    yo, jakeman. waiting for those newest macworld pics(that bubble pic shoudl eb awesome, oops? did i say that?). and those quake banchmarks I watched you take would be nice to see. (yeah this is the guy you talked to when you took those benchmarks). I love online communities, and it seems as if i shall be joining yours [​IMG]

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    k, i got a TON of time demo numbers from Quake 3 on the new 733MHz G4 w/ GeForce. I'm posting them on the main page. http://www.mac-gamer.com/

Eupfhoria. Hey, how's it going? I left those pics of the nVidia bubble and lightning demos on my dad's DV Cam. I probably won't be able to upload those pics for a few days, or whenever I get my hands on his DV Cam again.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

[This message has been edited by Jakeman (edited 01-11-2001).]

7. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Peasant

Market Rating:
    what were the radeon comps running? i never found out...they were running a diff comp, it can't be any faster than a 733 G4, and it's benchmarks were far better. The graphics were also a bit better IMHO. Unless it has that much more ram or vram...

------------------
    Eupfhoria
    for now and forever

8. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    Why do they only have the GF2 MX? I would have thought nVidia would have wanted to bring over their fastest hardware first to challenge the Radeon.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    GF 2Mx is an awesome OEM card. You won't find a PC anywhere (or at least not from 99% of manufacturers) that comes with anything above a 2MX installed. The better hardware is always add-on hardware. But even so, they don't have any *retail* cards better than the 2MX for Mac. [​IMG]

------------------
    lamo mac boy

10. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    About the heat sink... Maccentral say the plastic cover forces hot air directly out the back of the computer instead of remaining inside, so it doesn't warm up everything else. I wish my PC did that. Excess CPU heat is a real ***** on a 1024Mhz Duron. Just goes to show you that Apple designs their products to be the best. [​IMG]

------------------
    Hail to the king baby!

11. -FiRe-

-FiRe- Peasant

Market Rating:
    u need a new camera jakeman

------------------
    [​IMG]
    If you blow in a dog's face he'll get mad at you, but take him for a ride in the car the first thing he does is stick his head out of the window.

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    hehe, i know. It was my dad's DV Camcorder. It's meant for video, not stills.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

Hitometer: 53,590,405 since 1995