Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

mac vs pc discussion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zephor, Oct 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zephor

Zephor Peasant

Market Rating:
    i was talking to dagore a today and he said(quote):
    ROB:"My computer if better than your stupid PC's"
    ME: "NO since i have a 900 mhz and you have a 500 mhz"
    ROB:"My computer transfers more data making my processor more powerful than yours."
    Stephen:"That doesn't necessarily make it faster. Besides he has a Geforce 2 GTS. and you have a ATI RAGE fury."
    i might be off. zxcvbnm or dagore please feel free to correct me. is he right in that a 500mhz mac and outperform a 900mhz pc if they had teh same vid card?

2. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    It depends.

:D

/me
    :run:
    away quickly.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    only in photoshop, RC5, and SETI. for games your 900MHz PC will rape a 500MHz mac... the main factor being memory bandwidth.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    No.

There is not a 400mhz overhead on a mac processor.

5. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    If they had the same video card, possibly, and It also depends on game and API. For one, the mac doesnt have a GeForce 2 GTS, only Mx. So you would have to use a Raedon or a GeForce 3 to do the test, even then Apple makes its own GeForce 3 cards. Depends on card type, game, the API used and other hardware specs of computers.

6. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    MHz no matter. would you rather get a 1000MHz G3 or an 800MHz G4? (the answer is G4)

What processor? Athlon, Celeron, Duron, Cameron, Techron? You can get a Celeron to the same MHz as an Athlon, but is it better? (A: NO!)

CISC vs. RISC (RISC wins!!)

Gotta consider install times & how many reinstalls a month you have to do. :D

Many factors including the video card drivers, HD access speed, memory, etc. too many factors for a straight answer

7. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    lock, please

We've already been over this. We can argue for months to years, it won't stop.

One example:

Mr. Mac: "Mhz doesn't matter"

Mr. PC: "But memory bandwidth does, we have DDR memory"

Mr. Mac: "DDR memory makes a very small improvement"

Mr. PC: "Not according to benchmarks"

Mr. Mac: "There is no industry standard for benchmarks"

Mr. PC: "We use real world benchmarks, such as Word Processing or Gaming"

Mr. Mac: "What do you define as real world? We each have our own needs for a computer"

You get the idea?

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    the best thing to do is not worry about these things.

9. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I agree with grizzly, but since Jakeman got to this thread beforehand and didn't do anything, I guess that kinda implies he wants it left alone.

--Haite

//edit: I mixed powerhouse with grizzly, argh their group of friends is starting to blend together into a single entity, one of these days I'll call one of them smackdown :rolleyes:

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    nothing wrong with discussions like these... except for the fact that most peeps end up talking out their ass in debates like this.

11. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    Too much of cowofwar's anti-PC ideology has rubbed off on me.

But since this debate will be sanctioned, it's time to join in on the fun!

12. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    If you know what you are doing on Windows, there is no chance you will have to reinstall more often than a Mac machine.

I like Mac OS because it doesn't let you do anything that might jeopardize stability. But if you know what not to do in Windows 2000 (even Win98, if you really know what you are doing), there won't be a need to reformat.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i haven't had to reformat my pc yet. i've had it for.... ummm.... 6 months?

i had to reinstall my mac recently. never figured out what happened. that's the only time i've had to reinstall a mac that i own.

14. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    ::bubbly, muffled alien voice::

We are one

One is I

Destroy I shall

MWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

;)

15. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I reformatted my PC twice early on, I couldn't get 98 and 2k to dual boot properly a few times, third time was the charm I guess :rolleyes: (since I didn't change anything each time, format with FDISK, install 98, install 2k). I routinely reformat all my computers once a year, but have never once reformatted any Mac because the OS got corrupt, or the drive, or whatever, no major bugs whatsoever.

--Haite

16. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    Only in theory.

There hasn't been enough benchmarks on exact same systems differing only in the processor type.

Theoretically, the advantage of a RISC processor might make up for the disadvantages of SDRAM, HD access time, memory latency, bandwidth limitation, etc, but I have yet to see anything that proves so.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2001
  17. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, that's the problem with PCs. Windows can't automatically recognize every single hardware configuration out there, so it might take a few formats to smooth everything out (it took one format for me, because of my SBLive).

But you have to take into account that Apple makes their own hardware, so there's no worry about hardware support. Every configuration will work because Apple does the configurations for you.

And also don't forget that you don't do major hardware overhauls on a Mac. Usually it's an added scanner or printer, which isn't much, but you don't see complete motherboard or CPU replacements very often. This happens all the time in PCs, so you have to reformat a lot more often.

This is basically a flexibility vs. convenience issue. You sacrifice one for the other.

18. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    False.

Data transfer depends on the hard drive speed, IDE bus speed, AGP bus speed, PCI bus speed, front side memory bus speed, video memory texture transfer speed, etc.

The G4 might be able to process floating point numbers and integer calculations more quickly, but this does not amount to overall faster speed.

Bottlenecks lie all over the system, not just in the processor. This is probably the reason why a G4 would get owned in games by an Athlon.

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    shut your ass :p

20. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Data transfer don't have anything ot do with AGP, unless it is a graphic one. Event hen 4x AGP is about the only thing you find now. PCI is standared in speeds as well. For those of you who are intrested, Moterola has a NEW chip for laptops that MIGHT(Might NOT) be used by apple, it has 333mhz DDR ram.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Hitometer: 53,935,628 since 1995