Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Low lvl AoE using frost build

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Scorpion, May 5, 2005.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Here's a video of a low lvl mage using AoE to grind.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-mage&t=172880&p=1&tmp=1#post172880

It's been zipped so you might want to get Winzip or something to unzip it. Pretty much the same typical method I use but I usually run far enough to cast 2 blizz in a row. Also I have a mount so it's a lot easier to round up mobs since I don't get hit as much and by then I'd have Ice barrier to absorb unnecessary dmg. Not too bad for low level grinding though.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Blizzard prunes their forums like every week, so I will quote that post so it is preserved:

Just watched it. Looks like the typical frost mage strategy. Very effective of course.

3. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I take it that Frost is the most effective soloing AOE build, due to the immobilizing effects?

I should steer away from watching this sort of thing... I might decide to drop my priest and make a mage alt :p

//edit... speaking of my priest, I just realized I'm now the ranking priest here, I beat out Goire by a level on Monday. Cool!

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yes. Basically you can slowly kill groups of creeps without them ever touching you.

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Goire plays more on the PvP servers. He'll occasionally drop in on Hyjal when he gets tired of being ganked I'd assume :p.

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    So can you use this technique while speccing fire? Obviously you won't be as effective, but will it still work? Or do you need Permafrost and Improved Blizzard?

I only ask because I've been speccing Firemane as Arc/Fire and I wouldn't want to have to waste my 1g respec just yet.

edit: yes I guess you do need IB in order to get the chill effect...darn

7. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    AoE farming is really boring though.

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    You will need Improved Blizz for the Chill to AoE. What I see most mages do is use Frost build to level since they can grind and there's the occasional quests that tells you to go kill so-and-so many mobs of a specific type. I think 1g to spec is nothing since it can be easily gained back within 30 mins because quests sometimes gives you items that you can sell or money.

Yes AoE farming is quite boring. I'm only farming while I look for raid groups and I only do it so get the money for my epic mount and to buy stuff and of course if I get lucky, the epic items. Once I save enough money I'm going to go back to Fire/Arcane for PvP and Battlegrounds. My next respec will cost me 45g...thank god they capped it at 50g otherwise I'd go mad.

9. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Occasional? Seems like they're all like that. ;) What really kills me is when you go to the area where the mob supposedly is, and all that's there are his cousins. The Pygmy Venom Web Spiders in Duskwood are a notorious example. There are Venom Web Spiders out the butt, but no, I have to kill PYGMY Venom Web Spiders.

Anyway, I've been considering switching to Frost not so much to farm, but just for a better way to handle multiple mobs. 1v1 I'm fine even with mobs two levels above, 2v1 I'm usually okay even if I have to throw out the occasional polymorph. Any more than two and I'm in escape mode. It would just be nice to be able to kill 3 or more mobs without having to bug out. Frost Nova is handy but then what? Anything I hit them with is going to break the ice, and my AE is not powerful or fast enough yet to out-DPS three mobs.

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Reason why frost is the way to go. Frost doesn't rely too much on dps, CoC is the most dmging AoE spell that'll give frost it's dps. Blizzard is meant to chip away at the enemy's life while CoC finishes them. Same like a rogue using Sinister Strike to get combo points for the finishing move.

If you go frost, I'd suggest you try to get +Int gears. As you can see from the video, you will not get hit except for when you're rounding them up so if you survive the initial round-up, you have about a 99% chance of surviving the battle. You'll die only if you get unlucky because they resisted the Blizz a few times in a row or if you get an add that spawned right behind you mid-battle. In these rare instances, I use Ice Block and wait for my Nova to finish it's cooldown. I only die about .5% of the time when I go AoE farming because I like to farm in Hearthglen and there's a 61 elite that patrols the whole area. So every so often when I'm not careful, he'd come from behind me just as I'm about to finish killing the mobs and then I'd either die or have to run. Anywhere else, I'd have a .1% chance of failure from mobs resisting my spells.

Hitometer: 53,943,825 since 1995