Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

lots of talent changes in wotlk beta

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Jakeman, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    So it now adds a 5 sec cooldown to prevent Pyro from being spammable at 1.5 second casts.

It's still a so-so talent for the 10% fire and physical damage reduction, but of course Blizzard nerfs the coolest thing about it.

In keeping with Blizzard history, they design a mage talent that's either exploitable or potentially OP, then overnerf it to the point where it's weaksauce.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    here you are, you fire zealot you:

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah I saw that on the EJ forums.

I personally agree that we don't need a new nuke just because Arcane and Frost are getting one. (BTW Jake you are selling Deep Freeze a little short, the more I look at it the better it looks. The bad part is you won't feasibly be able to use it with FoF. Also as retarded as Brain Freeze seems, I point out that you could conceivably get Ignite with it. A free instant Fireball with Ignite doesn't seem so bad with WC affecting Fire spells now, even if it intuitively runs counter to Frost spec.)

Anyway, beef up the damage on Burnout (e.g. make it a 25% increase to TOTAL critical strike damage instead of only to the bonus damage) and make Hot Streak a more sensible talent and we can probably get along.

Firestarter is a decent talent but do I really need instant Flamestrikes? I'd like to see it replaced with a DD talent, but I don't hate it so much that it's a deal breaker. There's really just too much AoE in the Fire tree right now.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    more

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    more (some repeats):

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=8765779955&postId=87646124396&sid=2000#38

That is huge.

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  8. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    The biggest issue now is the placement of Improved Scorch.

The WotLK talent trees gave mages some raid synergy we were sorely lacking, but the problem is that most of it was given to one spec.

Improved Water Elemental's mana regen is by far the best raid utility a mage will have. Winter's Chill is also a potent DPS booster, and its placement in the Frost tree means that only deep frost mages can get it without gimping themselves.

Imp Scorch, on the other hand, is easily reachable by a 0/18/53 Frost spec, which brings Imp Scorch, Winter's Chill, AND Imp WE all from one raid spot. WotLK Fire's DPS on paper is about 4% ahead of WotLK Frost, but that's not compelling enough to bring a Fire mage over a Frost mage.

Solutions:

1. Move Imp Scorch deeper. (Makes the most sense.)
    2. Move WC shallower. (Also workable but not as preferable.)
    2. Boost Fire's DPS such that they are a must have based solely on that. (Will never happen.)

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    imp scortch is now a stacking crit buff, identical to winter's chill except it's 30 secs stack duration.

new buff / debuff system where similar effects no longer stack (e.g. imp scortch and winter's chill won't stack). This is intended to provide groups with many alternatives for covering the same types of buffs / debuffs.

improved water ele nerfed to 0.6% mana regen every 5 seconds for a total of 7.2% regen over 1 minute.

focus magic is now a raid-wide player buff instead of a monster debuff.

it appears that all spells now consume a % of base mana instead of most of them being a fixed amount.

slow is now 60% instead of 50%. I'm not sure when they implemented that.

hot streak proc is now an instant cast pyroblast. :eek:

fingers proc is now "next 2 spells over 15 secs".

11. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I don't like the Imp Scorch change, more and more your choice of spec is coming down to which spells are your favorite color. This solution works from a balance standpoint, but it's lazy.

Imp WE nerf probably warranted, it was too good.

I like the Hot Streak change.

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    mirror image confirmed for mages:

Creates 3 copies of the caster nearby, which cast spells and attack the mage's enemies. Lasts 30 sec.
    10% of base mana, Instant cast, 3 min cooldown

:hump:

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Neato.

Here's a vid of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-KBxvSkQfk

Watch it in full screen. It's kinda hard to see because it's grainy and zoomed out, but the images are casting frostbolt and the mage himself is casting fireball. If you watch closely you'll see that the caster's position is periodically switched among the images. All of the images appear to be doing damage.

Also I think I see a Hot Streak proc at around 0:30. Instant Pyroblast ftw.

God I hope they balance this thing right because it is uber cool. As usual with mage stuff it has the potential to be completely overpowered or completely weaksauce.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008

Hitometer: 53,849,635 since 1995