Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Looking for a good PS Tutorial

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by Moose, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Anyone know any good resources for learning Photoshop? I am a newbie and find it so feature rich that I am lost.

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
  3. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Not exactly a tutorial, but I've always found MacWorld's Photoshop Bible an invaluable reference.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    There's a couple main features of Photoshop that are invaluable and will allow you to do most everything you need to do, IMO.

1. Realize that there are layers in Photoshop. The layer menu on the right shows you all of them. You can click on those layers on the right and make one be on top of the other or adjust the opacity of the layer, etc.

2. When you click on the text tool on the left in the tool bar and then right click (if you have a two button mouse, otherwise do a control click) with that tool on one of the layers is the main screen (where the actual images are) it will pull down a menu with a couple of sweet options for the layer you are in. You can go to "effects" and drop shadows on the layer or do glowing effects. My personal favorite is the "inner bevel." It adds a kind of 3D effect to any layer.

3. The "dragging" tool in the top right of your toolbar on the left allows you to click and drap the contents of a layer around on the screen. Also, when you have that tool selected you can use the arrow keys to "precisely" move the layer you have selected.

4. The marque tool in the top left of the tool bar on the left is what I use when I'm transferring an image to a different program. You select what you want to copy and go to edit -> copy merged. This takes a clipboard snapshot of everything in the marque and makes the different layers as one (flattens the image). Then you can go to another program and paste it. One thing I've noticed about the copy merged option is that sometimes when you paste it into another application it will dull some of the colors in the image. So I guess it's always ideal to do all your work, including saving the flattenned image, in Photoshop exclusively so you don't loose any color depth and contrast.

5. Then of course the Filters menu has all kinds of nifty effects you can do. Just be careful which layer you have selected when you start doing these effects. Usually you will do these effects on the "background" layer, but it all depends.

5. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Tutorial

Phong is pretty cool, though too advanced in some ways... Basically just sit down with it and bang your head against the wall until it sinks in.

http://www.phong.com

Hitometer: 53,552,303 since 1995