Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Lesson number 247: Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Peadur, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    Man I'm asking a whole heap o questions lately! Well, for all you who are oh so patient and giving, if we ever end up ino the same place, I'll buy you a beer, or if you dont like beer or drink alcohol, some other beverage of your choice.

ANYWAY, so running osX and having dsl is easy (so I've been told), but what about SHARING a dsl connection. I'm having a friend move in, and I have an in house ethernet. I would like to be able to share this connection so we can run at the same time. I know it could be done with software like surfdoubler, or hardware like friendlynet under os 9. What is the scoop with X?
    Is there similar native software? Can you do in without 3rd party junk in X?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i don't know if OS X has built in routing software. i'm not familiar with 3rd party routing apps for OS X either. A hardware router is always ideal. For like $130-$150 you can get a nice hardware router.

3. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    yeah, drop the $125 for a LinkSys 4-port router, its worth it

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    What auto said.

5. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yea so that's the 'best answer' but what about the temporary jobbie for someone who only needs it for a few weeks, and doesn't want to drop $100? Just in case, do those routers also serve as ethernet hubs (and if so, are the 10, or 10/100) or do they just regulate internet connections?

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Routers are 10/100, hubs and routers

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    a router is a router, but most of the stand alone hardware routers have built in hubs or switches. The linksys routers are all 10/100 switches. Hub = blegh! Switch = YOWASA! :D

linksys has the 4 port or the 8 port versions.

for the software routing i have no idea if there are OS X solutions.

8. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    Mac OS X has built in sharing, just doesnt have a user interface for it. Try the program gNAT, it gives a GUI for the NAT services. Its Beta, but Im sure it works fine.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    oh yeah, the unix thing. :retard:

10. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    sooooo.... I got the router, but I'm a havin troubles getting things up and running. I set up the prefs on the router itself, and can get it to say that it has a connection, but have not been able to get either computer to get online (althogh they are assigned ip addresses) Any ideas? Linksys offers no tech support for mac at all.

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    linksys bastards. :p

if the router says it's connected under status than it's connected. hehe, uhhh, duh. :D

so you have to make sure the IP assignments for your computers are set right. You can set the router for DHCP (auto assign) or static. Static requires some configs and doesn't really offer any benefit unless you want fixed IPs for your computers. So set the router for DHCP enabled (i forget where, just look). It will want you to specify a range i think. Just do the default 192.168.1.100 - 120 or whatever (however many you need). Then go into Control Panel -> TCP/IP -> Connect via ethernet -> and connect using DHCP. Restart and it should pick up it's IP address from the router.

if you have problems I'll be on icq tonight. 61193419 :)

12. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    once again, I have stumbled into a solution. I called linksys, and although they offer no mac support, the guy was bright enough to guide me to manually ocnfigure my network settings, which was all it took to get things up and running. Much thanks for your offer of help, Mastah Jake.

13. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    What about IPNetrouter? Dunno if it's X compliant or not, but it does NAT really well...

14. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    IPNetrouter is software.

Hitometer: 53,820,749 since 1995