Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

I've turned to the Dark Side (sort of)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MisterHalleck, Oct 25, 2004.

1. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    You've probably heard of FreeiPods.com by now... I had a friend who just recieved hers in the mail a day ago. It's probably one of the only free-shit offers on the internet that's actually known to work (A number of people on SA have gotten free iPods as a result of doing it too).

So I signed up.

Basically you have to give them your e-mail address, participate in one of their affiliate's offers (small things, the one I did was the "Get 12 CD's for the price of one", that's the only one I'd trust given that again, friends of mine have done it and said it's worth it). Then you get 5 people to go to the FreeiPods site and complete an offer themselves (in the process signing up for their own free iPod).

Since it's worked for someone I know, and I don't mind paying $20 to get 12 CDs in the mail, and since it's easy to create a disposable e-mail address, I figured I could have a go and try to get one of my own.

Does anyone mind helping me out? I know it's just another crazy pyramid scheme etc etc lol kekekeke but I really would like a new iPod :)

clicking on the link below will put you on the site and let you knwo that you were recommended there by me.

http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=9447313

*misterhalleck must now go pay eternal penitence, and beg forgiveness from the Trogdor, the God of AntiSpam and Burninator of all that is Unholy on the Intarweb*

2. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    i'd do it if it was available in Canada =\

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    The vbulletin.com Chit Chat forum gets spammed with these things all the time.

I don't believe in perpetuating pyramid schemes, otherwise I would help you out.

4. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Theoretically, couldn't one make a bunch of extra email addresses, and do it 6 times or whatever, paying out $120 and getting an ipod and 72 cds?

It's not as good as getting real people to sign up and getting it for 20, but it's still a lot cheaper than buying the ipod regularly.

Also, out of curiosity, as far as I can tell, they get $120 for every ipod they have to give out (assuming that cost for the cds was correct), so how is the scheme making money? Do they just assume that some people won't actually get their ipod?

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I hear you have to provide a real address and phone number. Then they call you on the phone and mail you something. There is some kind of verification like that.

The base of the pyramid pays for the top. This pyramid scheme uses a sexenary tree (6 nodes per root). The exponential curve on a 6 node tree is enormous. At 12 levels deep you are already at 2 billion leaf nodes, each paying $20 into the tree. It doesn't take long for the income of the tree to outweigh the cost of the iPods.

6. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    the best part is that most of the offers are free; few of them actually require any payment whatsoever.

7. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    exactly. There will always be a bunch of people who don't follow up on the offer for the iPod but are content to have the CDs.

So I take it that nobody's interested in a free iPod and helping a fellow MSC goon in the process? :p

8. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I would, but I have no chance in convincing any of the people I know to ever go for something like this (which includes myself actually).

9. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    ditto

Hitometer: 53,595,181 since 1995