Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

I've ordered my G4

Discussion in 'Mac' started by gekko, Feb 26, 2001.

1. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    w00t! I finally placed the order for my new G4!

Here's the specs:
    733mhz
    512MB RAM - 1 DIMM
    60GB UltraATA HD
    Zip 250MB Drive
    SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce3
    AirPort card

And the other stuff:
    AppleCare plan
    Mac OS X
    Apple DVD-R media kit (5 pack)

I already have a second IntelliMouse Explorer i plan to use, and i also am getting a 19" Sony CPD-G400 monitor, Sound Blaster Live! card, and speakers (haven't decided). As far as games i plan to get, i would like to pick up Unreal Tournament, Quake III Arena, Diablo II, and Starcraft. Maybe the Warcraft II battle chest (i own the old, non-Battle.net one).

It's funny how Apple hides the fact that they can't keep this stuff in stock. 4-6 weeks for the G4, yet the standard package is 21 days. That's still 3 weeks! It also says 45 days for the DVD-Rs, which comes out to 5 weeks! It seems to short, yet it won't get here any sooner than my G4. Oh well, better late than never, and with the Geforce3, it's well worth the wait.

Now you know what i'll be playing on, let me know what your Mac specs are. I know a couple of you have it in your sig, but what about the rest?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    DIE!!!

Ok guys, this is what I added weapon smilies for!

:shotgun:[gekko]:glob:

3. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Oh come on! As a UT fan don't shoot thar sludge at me! Rockets, bullets, razor blades, anything but that crap!

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Grrrrrrrrrr.

Better lock your doors.

5. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I really like my sound sticks...they are a bit pricey for computer speakers, but cost doesn't seem to be a problem for you and you need style to go with that kick ass computer.

6. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    only thing about that system i dont like is the monitor, i cant stand anything that isnt a flat panel anymore. im spoiled :D

my dual 533 is going to be faster than your 733 :p

i'll probably end up getting a 733 anyway just because of the superdrive :nod:

7. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    OsIriS - I don't really like SoundSticks. They look cool and all, but i want something that can do surround sound and is hardware controled as far as volume. I can't stand using software controled volume.

Autolycus - You just wait until i rip out that second processor, then we'll see who's laughing :D

Actually, i want the SuperDrive more than anything else. The 533DP is a kick-ass system, but then you get CD-RW. As much i am plan to use CD-RW, what about DVD? Myst III is going to come on DVD-ROM so you don't have to switch between 5 CDs, and how will you play that? In the lifetime of your new computer, DVD-ROM software should become popular. It's going to be a lot easier having a DVD-ROM drive in your system and buying a Firewire CD-RW drive, which is why i'm wondering why Apple made everything with only CD-RW. I also am looking forward to burning DVDs, that's gonna kick so much ass.

I wish that iDVD allowed you to make VideoCDs though. $10 a pop for DVD-R discs is pricey if you just want a few things on there, or want to play around and make a disc with a bunch of crap on it. Burning it to a CD-RW would make that a lot easier. Is there anyway i can request this to Apple?

8. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    If you're unhappy about something, go to Apple's support page and give them your feed back. Apple will listen. :)

9. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    DVD-ROM is a BTO option

10. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Quick! Cancel your order! ;)

Hitometer: 53,597,064 since 1995