Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Is this a good monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac' started by gekko, Feb 24, 2001.

1. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hello guys, i'm new here obviously. I met Jakeman at the vBulletin forums when i was trying to decide whether to buy a GeForce2 MX or Radeon (before GeForce3), if you care. Not a big Mac gamer, been a long-time PC user, since i was about 4 (now going on 16). My cousin got me to buy my first Mac last summer, a 500mhz PowerBook G3 Firewire, and now i hate Windows, to say the least.

But anyway, i need a desktop to replace that ugly beige box i have sitting there now. I'm currently planning to buy a 733mhz G4, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD, GeForce3, yada yada yada. Anyway, when i was talking to Jakeman he recommended i buy a third party monitor instead of one of Apple's. I took his advice and began looking.

I like the 17" Studio display from Apple for the price and ADC, but it's kinda small. Try to get 1600x1200 on that thing and you're going at 65hz and using a telescope to read the text. I'd like to get 19" monitor, and Jakeman recommended the Sony CPD-E400. I took a look at that, and it looked good, but then i found another.

Sony CPD-G400. It's a 19"/18" viewable and runs 1600x1200 at 85hz. It also supports some 1800 resolution, if i ever go bigger. It's $549 and looks to be a really good monitor. Do any of you know of any problems for this monitor, or better suggestions?

2. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, one of my friends at school has a 21" viewable Sony monitor that he swears by... but the one thing is, it cost him an arm and a leg... so it may not be the best choice... I personally use a Flat Panel display by Hewlett Packard... but while it has digital and analogue ports, it doesn't support the ADC... errr you, if the Sony is in your spending range, then go for it, but personaly, I an going to get a 15" Apple Flat Panel... :p I just have too much money :D

3. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    The 15" flat panel is nice, but it's really small. The max resolution you can get on it is 1024x768. I use Photoshop and that kind of crap a lot, the more room the better.

1600x1200 is what i want to run. Plus Apple is bound to release new monitors eventually right? Maybe bring back the 21" CRT, or lower the price of the cinema display to something that most people can afford.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Cough...you are aware that Apple just slashed the price for the cinema display by $1000...right?

5. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Of course, but it's still a long ways away from affordable.

Affordable to me is like under $999. Still, i wouldn't pay that much unless the monitor was really good.

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, I know where you're coming from. I too do not have that type of money to shell out.

I'm stuck here with my G3/450 B+W. Although it is getting a new Radeon and 45gig drive next month to help revive it.
    Maybe add another DIMM of RAM to my 256 existing megs.

7. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    The E400 and G400 are just in different serieses (what word is that?! hehe). I'm not sure which one is better. Take a look at dot pitches and stuff.

I love my monitor. The main thing that stands out about my monitor is the color contrast. Black is actually black, not a washed out really dark grey.

Oh yeah, the E400 is a flat face. That may be a difference in features from the G400. You may want to check that. Flat face is the way to go!

8. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    flat everything is the way to go :p

9. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok, i've downloaded the pdf files with the specs of both of them to see the differences. Granted i do not understand this stuff, one of you should be smart enough.

Horizantal Scan Range
    E400: 30-96kHz
    G400: 30-107kHz

Maximum Resolution
    E400: 1800 x 1440 @ 60Hz
    G400: 1800 x 1440 @ 70Hz

Recommended Resolution
    E400: 1280 x 1024 @ 85Hz
    G400: 1280 x 1024 @ 85hz and 1600 x 1200 @ 85Hz

Factory Preset Resolutions
    E400: Timing Data Table (TDT) - 28 modes
    G400: Timing Data Table (TDT) - 25 modes

Input Connectors
    E400: Input 1: D-sub 15HD Captive
    G400: Captive 15 pin mini D-sub and 15 pin mini D-sub

That's the only things other than power managment and that crap.

First of all, for the input connectors, what's the difference between the two?

As far as resolutions, i would love to use 1600x1200, and i can get it at 85Hz with the G400, and it's not a recommended resolution for the E400 which makes me think it would be something like 1600x1200 @ 65Hz.

I don't have a clue what the horizantal scan range and TDT are, so unless one of you can explain it i don't think i'll consider that when deciding.

Another thing i noticed, is both have a Mac adapter in the box. What is the Mac adapter?

Oh yeah, both monitors also say "19" (18" VIS) FD Trinitron CRT - Virtually-flat, high-resolutions screen delivers outstanding image quality with reduced glare" So yes, they both are flat-screeded.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Macs have used standard VGA connectors for like 4 years now. The Mac video adapters are only for Macs older than that. Those older Macs use a video port that looks exactly like a Gameport.

My E400 does 1600 x 1200 @ 75Hz. So it would seem the G400 handles higher res better. I don't know what the difference in the connectors is. :confused:

11. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well thanks Jakesman for pointing out the 3rd party monitors. I think I'll go with the G400. Although, when i told my mom (I'm only 15, i don't pay for computers :)), she said "Won't this clash with your computer?" So then i told her about the Cinema Display...:D Hopefully she'll take looks over cost, but i don't think so. I guess i'll have to wait and see.

12. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    buying a non-apple monitor means one more cable for you, the minitowers dont have the plug for the monitor's power in the back now because of ADC.

13. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ya, i really don't want to give up the ADC, but Apple's selection bites. It's either a really expensive Cinema display or two monitors which do 1600x1200 poorly, or not at all.

I'm sorta stuck going non-Apple.

14. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Peasant

Market Rating:
    I want your mom!
    I have to buy my computers...
    here I am drooling over you talking about getting a new G4 733, a kick ass monitor and all, while I am scrapping up all the money I can get to buy the lowest end g4 tower i can get (incidentally, apple's lowest end computer that has a removable video card.)

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    :wtf: :D

16. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    How old are you? I would be paying for my own G4, but i'm not even old enough to work most places :) I'll pay here for it eventually...but until then she can either listen to me bitch about how much i hate PCs or live in piece as i use a G4 :D

17. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    Adopt me!

Anyways, I own the E400 (just got it 2 weeks ago) and it owns. I've used 3 Trinitron tubes, one on my original 14" Mac display, one Sony 200ES (older model), and one Sony E400. The G model upgrade isn't really worth it, you just get the resolution boost. I just have to say Trinitron tubes are the best I have seen and very reliable also.

Hitometer: 53,590,295 since 1995