Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

ipod woes

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by powerhouse, Sep 9, 2005.

1. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    My ipod mini has a flaky battery meter/battery. On a full charge it will play fine for 2 hours or so, and then I'll start getting the battery icon and it will power off. Resetting it will help for awhile (30 minutes at best), but it's getting worse, to the point of being rediculous.

I haven't been particularly kind to this battery, and I'm not ranting that Apple made a crappy product. It has probably had 200 charge cycles or so, and a few deep cycles as well. I love(d) my ipod. However, I'm not terribly impressed with Apple's service.

I went online to troubleshoot and ultimately ended up requesting service. It's still under warranty, but more than 90 days after I got it. I was expecting to have to ship it to them - Fairly standard procedure. However since I've had the unit for more than 90 days, they want me to pay shipping back. And here's the kicker - They want $29.99 + tax to ship it back to me!

The principle of paying $30 to ship a 6oz piece of plastic and metal just pisses me off. I've shipped laser printers for less than that. And I might expect crap like this from another company, but not Apple. I can't even get free phone support either (After 90 days) which I think I knew (it was a gift, so I didn't really buy it knowing this).

So I'm contemplating putting in a new higher capacity battery, or taking it apart and making a sick system for my truck. I don't suppose I can get it repaired at the local apple store? How about CompUSA Jake?

BTW, I didn't take the plunge after all... I bought a Thinkpad T42 - Damn sexy machine. And I might even be running OSX in the near future... ;-)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Same problem with my sons.. it was under warranty.

I brought it to the Apple store, they took it, replaced the battery, but I also had to pay the $30 for after 90 days iPod replacement (they replaced the entire iPod).

Another alternative would be to crack it open and replace the battery yourself with a higher capacity one. I did that with my old 2nd Gen iPod.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Sounds like you are having the same battery problem that everyone complains about.

I'm not at CompUSA anymore. And when I was there we didn't service integrated devices like that. Apple wouldn't even let us work on iBooks... we shipped them out.

4. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I took my daughter's to the Apple store here, where they did a battery test on it. It failed and they just gave us a new one, no charge. It had 2 weeks to go before turning a year old. :D

5. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I had the problem with my iPod battery but I never deep-cycled it enough to know how bad it was... I think at most it would go to 4 hours and die. I replaced it with one from Newer that runs for a solid 18 hours, costing $40. It would have cost me $99 to have Apple replace it with a generic 8-hour, and was out of warranty so I just did it myself.

Apple sent out a class action settlement notice sometime this summer, offering to replace fatigued batteries on certain models for free. You might look into that.

$30 does seem a bit obscene but it's not the weight of the package that really counts... it's the service you use to ship it. Sending something the size of a Mini as FedEx Express Saver would cost maybe $5 and get there in <3 days. Sending it Overnight would cost more like $40. Make sure you know how they're shipping it.

6. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well there's a store in manhattan beach I think. I'll give them a call and see what they can do for me before I head down there. I have a knack for driving out somewhere and not being able to get what I need...

7. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    No love from the apple store.

They would have been happy to charge me $30 too. Which I almost did. I must have misread the Apple web site - $30 and they send me a box to ship it to them in.

That's not a bad price for that kind of service - but my Mag Monitor had a 3 year warranty, 48 hour advanced replacement. They would send me a new monitor and I pack my old one up and send it back. That was the standard warranty. Cost of the monitor then (~5 years ago) $300. Not too far from the $250 spent on the ipod mini.

Anyways I'm ranting again. It's the principle at this point. I'm getting the ipod repaired for free, but I have to pay to send it in? At the store they called it a "processing fee". I think I'm just going to replace the battery myself with a higher capacity one.

And one other thing. The guy at the store was trying to sell me applecare. He said that if I ever wanted phone support for my ipod (without applecare), it would cost $50 per incident!

8. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Don't you miss when phone support was free? I remember when I bought my first computer, it was free any time, not just for the first year and the people on the other side of the line actually knew what I was talking about.

9. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    it only costs $50/incident if they know who you are :)

10. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    everybody talks about the iPod halo effect, wherein PC users are exposed to superior Apple methdology in using iTunes etc., thus "converting" them. i think it's great, but Apple's dropped the ball on the support aspect. their iPod support is nothing like their other products, and i think PC iPod users are getting the wrong impression.

Hitometer: 53,585,675 since 1995