Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Interesting read on the G4, G5, and G6 processors.

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Jakeman, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Posted today on http://www.macosrumors.com . The bellow statement was sent in by some one who claims to be an apple employee. The information is unconfirmed but macosrumors is saying the info is consistant with rumors and the solid info that they have:

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
  3. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    OK. I have to reply based on general knowledge of how things work in the microprocessor design world.

1. You cannot get samples of a part that is not taped out. 'Taped out' means that you have sent the database to the mask shop to make the reticles for the fab. The reticles are the plates that are used by the lithography step to 'print' the circuits on the wafers.

2. If you were to tape out a chip in Sept/Oct you would be VERY lucky to have ANY parts by November that actually work to begin validation on. Validation and testing of new microprocessors takes a long time. Billions of cycles, running thousands of tests are needed. A company that I know of, taped out a chip in December of a year, and actually had systems out by the following Fall (~Oct). This was a record turn-around for the entire industry.

3. "incomplete sample units" Hmm, well not sure here, but test chips are made to check out a process to see how good the transistors are. They usually have some fairly limited circuits on them, and in no way are the same as a marketable part.

Just my 2ยข (or maybe a little more)

Hitometer: 53,557,569 since 1995