Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Interesting Article

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Gilgamesh, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Please see article for an intersting read on a reviewers take on Vista versus Mac OS... found link to arrticle from APples news site...

http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/17992/page1/

After reading the article, go to the bottom of the page and browse the posts entitled, "Apples are Expensive!" There are quite alot of interesting comments in there from PC people and mac converts.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hyundai or Toyota? Toyota is the better retail car, but custom builds will always be better if you have the knowledge.

The same argument applies to computers. I think retail PCs are shit, but my custom PCs are better than anything Apple or any other PC company can offer.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    So true... I thought the basis of the article was intersting, about Vista being beautiful in some aspects, difficult in others, but basically taking away the lower end PC machines by the sheer massiveness of the OS.

I'm also your tried and true Mac-enthusiast, so I like the fact that the $400 PC out-of-the-box is going to be a thing of the past eventually, and people will start to realize that box-for-box, an Apple is an affordable machine.

I thought it interesting that Dell recommended to the reviewer that machines should have a minimum of a certain $400 graphics card to run Vista...

Ah well..

4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Like this should be a big shock to anyone. Windows has always been a reverse engineered copy cat of Mac OS, every version from 1986 to present. Microsoft doesn't innovate and they never have, they just steal everyone else's shit and then outmarket the competition.

It's not just with Windows either, every other MS app is a copy of something better. Not to mention the Pocket PC, X-Box, Zune, the list goes on. Let someone else establish the market by being innovative and daring, then copy their stuff and back it with a shitload of cash. Bastards.

One of the main reasons I remain a content Mac user to this day.

5. Twerg

Twerg MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    This article reminds me of all those political articles that start with I was a Democrat, but now I love George Bush or I was a Republican, but now war sucks. Obviously Macs have less compatibility issues because the production of the Macintosh is based upon a vertical integration model in that Apple facilitates all aspects of its hardware and creates its own operating system. This is in contrast to PCs, where different brands of hardware run different operating systems such as Microsoft Windows or Linux. Basically, Mac OS isn’t intended for use with a variety of hardware and doesn’t have to work with the myriad products from different vendors that Windows does. Each operating system has it’s advantages and disadvantages. Gamers prefer pc’s with Windows because there is a larger software and hardware market to support it. They can upgrade and tweak their systems in ways Macs aren’t intended for.

By the way Macs are more expensive than PCs check out consumer reports (an independent firm).

What this article comes down to is a mentality that is represented by this comic: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/07/12

Hitometer: 53,585,742 since 1995