Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Installing OS X on a new G4

Discussion in 'Mac' started by gekko, Feb 25, 2001.

1. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Since the Geforce3 isn't shiping in the BTO G4s for a while, Mac OS X will be out by then.

But when i get my G4, should i go through OS 9.1 setup, then upgrade, or should i just do a fresh install of OS X?

I'm not this great Mac guy, i actually have no clue how to erase the HD and do a clean install of OS X, but what would be better?

I know on Windows machines it's better to do a clean install instead of just upgrading (I did 13 in a row before Windows worked again). But with Macs, am i better off erasing the preloaded 9.1 and immediatly install OS X or is upgrading just as good?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    hehe. Dude, I can say from experience since I work in a tech shop. Mac OS installs are gravy compared to Winblows installs. Windows is a pain to get working just right. I have to install it multiple times on a lot of computers. Then there are the hardware profiles and stuff to deal with. Macs don't have hardware profiles so to speak. It's a closed hardware platform (actually, Macs are closed everything... OS, hardware, etc), which makes everything "more compatible" and MUCH easier than on PCs. Oh yeah, no IRQ conflicts either. :)

It won't matter which way you do it. Format and install OS X and then install OS 9 for Classic compatibility, or vice versa. I've done it any which way while messing with the beta and other builds of OS X. All Mac OS installers have options to format before installing.

Trust me on this, all you have to do is follow the step by step instructions for OS X presented on screen when you install. It gives you options for any type of install depending on if you have OS 9 already or not. It makes it so easy an 8 year old could do it. The only thing I'm not sure about with OS X is whether to go HFS Extended file system or Unix File system when it gives me the option.

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    oh yeah, I've had issues with installing one unsupported leaked build of OS X over another one, but that's to be expected from pre-final release builds. But installing it on top of OS 9 works wonderfully. No need to format unless you're having existing problems with OS 9 that may be related to issues that can be solved by formating.

4. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok, i think i'll just get the 9.1 setup and then upgrade. But what's the difference with the file systems?

BTW, Macs don't have BIOS settings do they?

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Unix File system is a new one for Mac. Since OS X is a Unix OS it gives you the option to use Unix file system. But if you already have OS 9 on there then I would stick with HFS extended (what OS 9 already uses).

No, there are no bios settings at all. There is a way to access the firmware (ROM, BIOS, whatever you want to call it) in a Mac, but I forget. Regardless, it serves no purpose for a Mac.

Hitometer: 53,589,422 since 1995