Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Installing Jaguar Problems

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Rae, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Rae

Rae Peasant

Market Rating:
    Okay, so I'm trying to install Jaguar for my dad, and when I insert the cd and double click the install icon, it does everything correct and tells me to restart the computer. So, it restarts, and everything seems fine at first, but the first screen takes forever. Then, instead of bringing me to the installer like it should, it brings up a blank gray screen, then a few seconds later it brings up a blue one, then a black screen with white letters that say "The Installer has quit due to an unexpected error (exit code 138). Please restart your computer."

So, I did what it said, and the same thing kept happening again and again.

I've tried everything.

All the firmware updates are up to date, security updates and all that stuff is correct. I even read a document on the apple website that explained what to do in this case, and it basically told me to unplug all usb devices, which I did, it told me to try to install from OS 9, which I did, it told me to use startup disk instead of trying to install from the icon, which I did...I tried everything, and nothing is working. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    what kind of mac is it? Do the specs meet the requirements for Jaguar?

You might also try resetting the PRAM by holding down command - option - p - r on startup. Stop holding the keys after the second startup chime.

3. Rae

Rae Peasant

Market Rating:
    All the specs are correct...it's a 2001 Power PC G3 (Imac, Graphite) just like my computer, which jaguar installed correctly with no problems on. It's running Mac OS X 10.1.5 and all the firmware is updated....along with everything else. I'm going to try to reset the pram like you said, I'll let you know if that works.

4. Rae

Rae Peasant

Market Rating:
    Nope, that didn't work. Any other suggestions?

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i searched apple's discussion forums but couldn't find any mention of this error. You might have to call apple's tech support.

6. john schuster

john schuster Peasant

Market Rating:
    panther on imac g3

hi, read your saga with the new os istall. i am having the same problem installing panther on a imac g3 slot loading 450Mhz Dv+ system. worked with apple on the phone for over 90 minutes. performed all the things mentioned in your attempts. no luck. still get error 138 when trying to upgrade. apple basically said i have a bad cd/dvd drive.

did you find another solution to get your os upgrade completed?
    thanks.
    john

Hitometer: 53,849,932 since 1995