Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Wintel-User, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Wintel-User

Wintel-User Peasant

Market Rating:
    Not sure this is in the right forum, but anyway...

I'm a former Macintosh user, having used various Apple products extensively up until 1996 or so, at which point I started using Win95 instead. (Yeah, I know, I'm ashamed.. :worried: ) Now, I've been reading up on MacOS 10, and this new operating system is making me seriously consider jumping ship and going back to the Macintosh platform. Specifically appealing to me is the fact that it is built on a UNIX core, and is largely compatible with UNIX variants.

So, I've been giving thought into getting an 500MHz iMac. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money right now, so it seems like a nice solution. My question is, how well can I expect MacOS X to perform on the "lower-end" iMac's? If I were to up it to 256MB RAM, would this solve any performance problems I might encounter?

And, last but not least, should I use OS 10 now, or stick with MacOS 9 and wait for 10 to "mature" a little? Those of you who have upgraded already, what are your experiences with it?

Thanks!!

:wave:

-- Disgruntled WinNT user :p

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    right now OS X doesn't run well on anything. this is supposed to change when OS X version 10.1 comes out next month sometime. but definately get at least 256MB of RAM to run it.

OS X is starting to mature but there still isn't a whole lot of support for it.

3. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    It'd run X, and any professional apps you'd need, but it'll be no gaming machine. The Rage 128 just can't cut it nowadays (could it ever?). If you're just gonna use it for surfing the web and the occasional project then it'd do fine. There are a shipload of popular apps coming out X native now, and lots of gaming companies either already support it, or plan to very soon (specifically to the clan, Blizzard).

--Haite

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well os x was released for current hardware. 10.1 is basically the real release so if you want to use it effectively you should try to use current hardware. Meaning like 700+mhz machines.

But answering your original question, os x likes RAM. It REALLY likes RAM. A 256 dimm only costs 40 bucks right now and that's from an expensive dealer.

Oh yeah, os x also really likes dual-processors :D

5. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Peasant

Market Rating:
    256 for 40 !?!?! come on... you can get it for 30.
    and a 512 just sank under $60 shipped for the first time ever sparing special promotions.

check out www.dealram.com for kick arss prices (and it lists by shipping price so you can get the lowest price to your door)

Hitometer: 53,586,994 since 1995