Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

ignore

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cowofwar, May 9, 2001.

1. Zephor

Zephor Peasant

Market Rating:
    This post drifted really far from a discussion about water from canada

2. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    It's not just the demand for power but also the affects of deregulation, which has caused power companies to lose a lot of money and for rates to skyrocket. Also, because the companies do not own there power plants, I believe, they could not build more when we needed them.

3. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    and lets not forget the friendly environmentalists who have been blocking the building of new power facilities for many years out there.

and then there's the overwhelming popularity of the SUV over the past 5-10 years. Just amazing that no one could see gas supply shortages (or perceived shortages) with those things everywhere. :rolleyes:

4. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Didn't they also blame a really low rainfall this year to power shortages?...And I did use paragraphs, but for some reason it didn't take, probably because I didn't use tab.

5. Balic

Balic Peasant

Market Rating:
    the friendly environmentalists

getting more power would be a temporary solution. People just use too much power, and as was said earlier, it would not be as bad without deregulation(that's why I hate to see it coming to Oregon too).

Granola anyone? ;)

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Here are a few suggestions:
    1. Build more power-plants...
    2. Mass produce cars that use combined electric/combustion engines
    3. Deregulate the deregulations.... let the power companies in California pass on the addded expenses of the extra power and see how long people keep using it without conservation...
    4. Hopefully some smarty-pats will figure out fusion someday...

Here's the downside:
    1. Friggin environmentalists. Plus it doesn't solve peoples overuse of power.
    2. Can you all say lobbyists.... Until someone breaks the car-makers and oil producers stranglehold on invetning new modes of transportation, this will never happen (as a mass-produced item).
    3. Yeah, right.....like that'll happen. But it just aint right for those power companies to be so far indebt for trying to provide power, or the federal govt for bailing them out....
    4. hmmm....??? who knows.....

BTW: we went right off topic long time ago ..... right after Cow posted this and said to "ignore"....heheh

7. Balic

Balic Peasant

Market Rating:
    hey what is it with the environmental freak bashing. True most environmentalists plan ahead further than most people do, sometimes this makes what to do now hard to fallow in the short term, but we should still plan ahead most of the time. It seems to me that people are using the bag of candy model for the world's resources. The more we have the more we want, most of our candy (possessions) we don't really need and is not the best thing to be eating. We try to get more because it tastes good.
    I'm glad to see that you support electric cars Gigamesh(good book about ancient human relation to nature). While electric cars don't change our habits they should have a strong effect and they are likely to be accepted(unless Bush's oil interests get in the way). I have found that a bike is the way to go, I live in a dorm, and I can bike or walk to get groceries or whatever else is important (like plants and occasionally computer games ;>) I will go as long as I can without a car and then use it as infrequently as possible. Cars probably don't effect the energy crisis, because most of them use gas not electricity, but there is a gas issue too. If we plan buildings and general layout in a more environmentally friendly way I think that we would do some real good for the gas and oil problems.

-green hippy boy

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    I'm not bashing all environmentsalists, but you have to agree that some, if not alot of them, are in it more for the power to tell big-bad governmet what they can and cannot do....

Here's the catch.... California is really screwed on electricity. They buy huges blocks of over-priced power from outlying areas and ship it in (I really want to know how you ship electricity.... :) ). What does California do??? Deregulate utility companies so they may not pass on the added costs to the consumer thus pushing the companies into bankruptcy, nad who needs to bail it out... the federal government in grants, loans, washing away debt.... abd who pays that?? The taxpayers across the whole country, just not the people in California... Raise the California state income, property, and sales tax to cover it!!

What does California need?? More power-plants.... Who stands in the way of these plants?? The environmentalists.... Why shouldn't there be more power-plants scattered across the desert, along the shores... They can be built from screatch with all the newest technology....

BTW: I really support having hybrid cars...part electric and part combustion.... Just think if a car could use 1/2 the gas it normally does. That effectively doubles the worlds gas crunch, thus doubling the life expectancy of any oil deposits, thus reducing everyones dependency upon oil producing countries.... I'm sure OPEC would just love to help, too.... (sarcastic comment...)

*pant* *pant*....

9. Zephor

Zephor Peasant

Market Rating:
    Blame george bush
    "George W. Bush the W is for Victory"

10. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    George Bush didn't instigate deregulation.

11. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    these problems have been brewing for a long time. Blaming the person who currently resides in the White House is just foolish and short-sighted. Besides, this is the second year of problems for California. Who was in the white house last year, hmmm?

If you really must blame a political figure (which you shouldn't, the problem is too involved to place blame at one person's feet) you should look at the Governor. His state after all.

On the environmentalists
    I'm not against having a long term eco friendly approach to life. I am against people who decide that they need to get in my face about using plastic bags to carry my groceries home in (never mind that I use those bags over and over again), or the people who rides their bikes up to the side of my car when I am at a stop light and accuse me of swerving to attempt to hit a squirrel in the road (real story, bet she doesn't do that again), or the folks in Washington who try to firebomb a professor who is trying to create a faster growing tree for "industrial tree farms" so that old growth forests don't need to cut down. The "in-your- face" folks are the ones that bug me.

side note
    Have you ever noticed that hardcore "environmentalists" almost always drive a beat up VW van that was old in the 70's and looks like a cropduster as it drives down the road. how's that for irony?

12. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    Blame Wilson.

It's true. They don't even want the $1000 gross polluter trade in for their car. They spend all their money on spikes to drive into trees (obvious stereotype), so they can't afford a new vehicle.

Hitometer: 53,850,312 since 1995