Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

I think I'm going to take the plunge

Discussion in 'Mac' started by powerhouse, May 11, 2005.

1. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hey guys, haven't been around here in awhile... I'm actually amazed I remembered my login and stuff...

Anyways, as my friends could tell you I've been using old turds of computers for awhile now, and it's time I get something new. I'm thinking a mac mini might be the thing for me.

But since all you guys have PCs now too, I just thought I'd ask why you keep two systems around. Is it gaming? I don't do any. Partially because I don't have a computer with a graphics card made before 1999 (Wow thats scary...), and partially because my roommate has a PS2 and a gamecube.

Also, I want to pick up an old ibook or powerbook for taking to class. Only need it for internet and taking notes. What would you say would be the oldest I should go?

Thanks guys, Peace out.

2. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    Damn, I haven't used suse in awhile... and peasant? what the hell is that crap? Thanks. Make fun of me because I'm poor... ;-) :flipoff:

3. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    new 12" iBook.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    If you don't need the power an ibook would be fine for both. You could just get a monitor, keyboard and mouse on your desk and just connect it all so it's basically a desktop when you don't need the mobility.

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yep.

6. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes, Powerhouse's laast computer to my knowlege was what, a 300MHz Duron?

And the "Peasant" is your clan rank in WoW. Means nothing if you don't play :p

long time no talk!

7. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    It was a 750! It would overclock to a gig easily. Actually that computer is still around. Just needs a new psu and some software... too bad it's still old and heavy.

Maybe I didn't make this clear. I want a beater notebook that I can pick up for a few hundred dollars and keep in my backpack and not have to worry about it. I also don't want to have to connect and reconnect crap every morning/evening, hence the mac mini for home.

So that said, for my beater notebook, as in not new, how do the older G3 ibooks and powerbooks handle os x? Can I strip out visual effects and services that I don't need?

8. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    OSX does let you take off some visual effects, but I forget exactly how much. If you want a real beater, try eBay and see what you can find in the 800mhz range; I'd expect that to be closer to your price range.

Or you could get a thinkpad. I saw one that was so small it didn't even have a CD drive (that might be pushing it though, plus I hate the damn finger button they use as an ecuse for a mouse...) Yeah, I know, I should be touting a mac but whatever.

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    you could go to a Pismo G3 400/500 Mhz laptop... they are still selling well on EBay. They handle OSX perfectly fine if you aren't talking about serious gaming or desktop design software.

If all you need is the Office bundle (Word, Excel) and internet, this is a good bet, but don't expect it to be cheap. I actually just sold my old Pismo (400Mhx with upgraded HD and RAM) for $450. Probably could have gotten a little more, but I placed a buy-it-now...

10. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    When does apple normally release products? Can I expect a speed-bumped mac mini in the near future?

11. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  12. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Apple's new products are cheap enough that you shouldn't consider used.

Hitometer: 53,597,602 since 1995