Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

HP == bad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SpocKirk, Oct 27, 2007.

1. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    I bought a used computer. It has an HP CD-writer 9100 series in it. I am trying to install Warcraft III, but I'm having some problems with the game recognizing the disc after it's installed. I went to the HP website to update the drive firmware, but they don't have anything available for download, only a link to order a CD, which costs $10 and takes 5-7 days for delivery. I thought we were supposed to be in the digital age.

/*edit: I moved on to the other drive, the generic DVD drive that came with the computer, and it turns out that Compaq (the company that made the computer) uses the HP site to supply their drivers, too.*/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  3. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    good idea, I had forgotten about that. I finally got it to work by using the original CDs instead of a copy. My Mac runs the game off the copies, so they aren't bad copies. I think the ISO will work the best for what I'm doing.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah, Warcraft 3 and many other games have copy protection. Sometimes ISO mounters don't even work, but daemon tools is pretty good at fooling them.

It has also been my experience that copy protection is more common and much more sophisticated on Windows PCs.

Hitometer: 53,939,571 since 1995