Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Hooray

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cowofwar, Nov 17, 2005.

1. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    No more BAC concentration and single passenger limits!

Passed my class 5 road test today so I can get rid of my class 7N license which has plagued me for two years.

Written exam --> Class 7L license (one year minimum, cannot drive without someone over the age of 25 and enforced curfew, single passenger limit other than licensed person)

Road test --> Class 7N license (two years minimum, single passenger nonfamilial limit, 0% BAC limit)

Road test --> Class 5 license (no restrictions)

Written exam costs like $20, road tests cost like $50, each new license requires a processing fee. Ugh.

2. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Is Canada a bunch of sticklers when it comes to getting a license or something? I've had all of the above abilities since the age of 16.

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Most provinces have it, it's actually ICBC's decision since they have a monopoly on driving insurance in BC and everyone must have basic insurance from them to drive. Unfortunately stats say that kids drive like shit so that's where graduated licensing comes from. It's not a new idea anyways, many countries already have it.

Personally, I think it's a good idea however our system takes it a bit far. Obviously the american system of driving around in a parking lot around some cones to get your full license is hilariously inadequate but spending three years with a passenger limit of one person is a bit much.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    I remember the US system as being:

- Get you learners permit at age 16 (15 in some states) - lasts until 18: restricted driving. No passengers and only drive until 9pm, unless you are driving to/from work.

- Senior License at 18 - full driving priviledges.

(might have changed... been 20+ years since I went through that, and my son has 2 years until he can get his license...

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    oh, btw... congrats on the upgraded license... :)

6. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yea the american way is not quite as simplistic as driving around cones. They make you take a class where it becomes evident if you know how to drive or not. Honestly its not the ability so much as the experience you need for driving. I've seen a lot of good drivers panic in bad situations simply because of inexperience. I dont think a harder test is going to help that kind of judgement. Just time and wisdom.

Edit: Oh yea, congratulations Cow!

7. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I got my full license at age 16.

The written test was easy. The driving test included me driving around maybe 12 blocks downtown. She made sure I knew to turn my head during a 3-point turn, to get in the far left lane before turning left off of a one-way street, and to give straight traffic the right of way at an intersection.

I got the first two no problem, but I failed on the third point. She said she should have failed me but she passed me anyways.

8. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I failed my driving test twice before getting my license, due to some stupid mistakes. They make you drive around a few blocks in the area of the DMV location, and tell you do to things, and see how well you react. I missed points for overshooting the white line at a crosswalk and for not looking enough during a 3-point turn. The two critical errors came when I entered an intersection for a left turn, but got nervous and didn't complete it by the time the light turned red (I was waiting to see if crosstraffic was coming and sweating bullets). The second time, on the turn to get back into the DMV parking lot, I was merging into the double-yellow "suicide lane" to make my turn, and some asshat in a Jag was trying to pass me in that lane (totally illegal for him, but the fact that I didnt' expect or see him failed me).

/edit: In California, you can get a full license at age 16, but you can't drive any passengers other than a single adult over 25, for six months. There are a couple other restrictions that you get untill age 18, but nothing that affected me enough for me to remember them.

9. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    Congrats Cow... I know how much of a pain it is to have restrictions when you know how to drive.

I think the laws in the US vary from state to state actually. Unless I remember wrong, in DC you can get your learner's permit when you're 15 and 1/2, which lets you drive with a parent, and every year up until the age of 18, you get a different license with restrictions. I got my provisional license (second on the list out of 4), which, I think, allowed me to drive in DC only, with anyone, and with a curfew. The next license, which I think is called "license with restrictions," just takes a couple restrictions off.... Then there's the full, which I think can only be acquired at 18.

The learner's required a written test, and for my provisional I had to go to the ghetto (I really don't remember why) to do my driving test at the DMV there. I had an angry black guy in the car with me who yelled when I didn't wait for a car in the distance to come all the way down the road and pass me before I made my turn. We just went around the block.

Now I've got a provisional DC license, I'm living in Greece, and I can drive. Apparently you need to get an international license from the country you came from. The local license here costs about 750 Euros, and I'd probably fail it cause it's in Greek. I figure I'll just wait till I live in New York and get a car before I even bother getting a full license.

My advice to you all though, get a scooter!

10. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    It would be a lot cheaper on gas!

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    And a lot less money spent on women (because it's hard to pick up chicks on a scooter).

12. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    I can't do that anymore. I got married this past August. :( hehe.

13. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    Not necessarily. You need to make it a scooter with an attitude.... Put stickers and shiat on it. Then they go nuts! Absolutely nuts! But no, you're right actually. Although lots of people, girls included, used to tell me my scooter (in DC) was cool, I have to admit I get more action with nothing whatsoever. However in Greece it's all old fashion bullshit and they want you to have a car.

14. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    [​IMG]

I've only ever seen one in the city where I live. I'm thinking of getting one for around town. that or a Segway.

15. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    The obvious solution is to go down to walmart and buy a huge wing for it.

16. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Aren't Segways illegal in most states to drive around streets or sidewalks?

17. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    not in california.
    http://www.segway.com/general/regulatory.html

it's up to counties and cities to decide, but under general California law, it is legal. They are more open because of the overcrowding and pollution, so they'll accept anything that is an alternative.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  18. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I see a lot of people in Annapolis with those.

And there are some beat cops in DC that have them now too, which is a little weird looking.

19. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    :bendover::hump:

20. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    well she said I was cute

Hitometer: 53,946,859 since 1995