Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Holy Cow! TONS of new members!

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Jun 10, 2000.

1. MacPhoenix

MacPhoenix Peasant

Market Rating:
    Id have to go with the idea of 20 peoples per character, and then a reserve list for people who leave or quit. I mean 100 people is a lot, but its also a nice round number, and there is always power in numbers.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I've been thinking about this a lot and the conclusion I've come to is outlined in this news byte from the clan site:

06-13-00: Shesh! We are up to about 60 members now! On the message board we have been discussing putting a cap on the
    max number of members allowed in this clan. I was considering putting a 20 member cap per character. Then I started
    thinking about why I started this clan. The purpose of this clan is to bring Mac people together with an awesome game, and to
    enhance the game playing experience with teamwork, camaraderie, and community. If I am to bring Mac people together than
    putting a cap on membership would defeat that goal as I would be turning Mac people away. To enhance the game play
    experience with teamwork, camaraderie, and community is a goal that inherently becomes more realized the more members we
    get. The concern right now is that we are going to have more members than we know what to do with. After thinking about it
    I've realized that a community can be fairly self-sufficient. The main problem presented by having too many members is that
    it's hard to keep track of new members and who's participating versus who's not. However, as the admin of this site and
    mac-gamer.com this is strictly my problem; if I can handle the huge demand for membership into this clan then everything
    else should fall into place. Oh yes, I forgot the most important goal of this clan... to turn battle.net into a Mac infested haven
    where all of our members have [MAC] in front of their names and everyone knows that [MAC] means that person is on a
    Macintosh! Yes bitch! : ) -Jakeman

For now, the decision I've come to is to not put a cap of any kind. Like I said, a community can run itself. For example, if some one wants to duel they can arrange the time on the message board. As far as [MAC] only games go... the more members we have the more [MAC] games servers will go up for the huge number of members to play on. I think it will all work out. So, what do you guys think of my decision and the reasoning for it?

------------------
    lamo mac boy

3. Edward

Edward Unregistered

Jakeman,
    You might consider (if huge numbers of members gets to be too much to keep up with) breaking the clan down into parts, one for each character class. The clan would remain the same but administration of each character class would be delegated to the "leader" of each of these classes.
    Just a thought if things get out of hand for you.

------------------
    Edward, the Black Prince

4. MacPhoenix

MacPhoenix Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jakeman, well said...

My suggestion, to bring back a sense of speciality would be to have smaller groups in the clan...someone suggested it earlier. To pretty much have smaller clans within the clan. We wouldnt fight internally within the clan, but this would bring a sense of speciality to everyone. So in the clan we can have tribes or something. Just to get back that feeling of eliteness.

-MacPhoenix

5. Gregor Fearn

Gregor Fearn Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hey all, new member here.

I like what I've been hearing, but my initial thought is that we all need
    to agree with whatever Jakeman wants to do. He's carrying the load on
    all of this and doing all the work. I for one am very thankful that he is!!

Jakeman, whatever you feel you can/want to fit into your life to make
    this work is o.k. with me. If there's things you can farm out to help
    lessen the burden on you, feel free to let me know.

I'm heading out for Australia for the next 3 weeks - - - your tax dollars
    hard at work (I'm in the Navy), but will be checking my email whenever
    I can (via www.readmail.com) and trying to check into the forums and
    keep track of what's happening (depends on what Internet access/computer
    time I can get in Australia - - - hey, good beer, pretty women 8-) what can
    I say??)

Will see all of you early July!

"If it ain't Scottish, it's crap!!"

Gregor Fearn

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I was seriously considering something like sister clans, but then that would mean that I would have to put people in charge of them. In my experience having multiple administrators of any kind tends to get a little unorganized and confusing. I have been sending news of the clan to other mac news sites. We'll see what happens with that. I think it's all going to work out. [​IMG]

------------------
    lamo mac boy

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Oh yeah, don't worry about me. Last Friday when I had like 30 people to add to the clan that evening it was a little overwhelming. But now I'm getting the whole process automated. I just copy and paste a standardized member e-mail every time some one signs up. It doesn't take me that much time anymore. [​IMG]

Especially once we get all of the little things worked out then this clan won't require that much maintainence (i think). The hardest part will be forcing myself to get some sleep instead of playing Diablo 2 all night. [​IMG]

------------------
    lamo mac boy

8. Fintanisco

Fintanisco Peasant

Market Rating:
    Maybe we could have different clan divisions for each character class?

9. Qwarn

Qwarn Peasant

Market Rating:
    One thing that sucks abotu Diablo II is that only 8 players are allowed in one game.. I know, I know, it might get a little crowded with 200 ppl in one server, but I think that you should be able to have more players in your game (say up to 16) depending on your bandwidth.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Yeah, 16 players would be better. But since Diablo 2 is fixed at 640x480 res the screen would get really crowded.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

11. flytrap

flytrap Peasant

Market Rating:
    Damn! I'm joining the navy.......but then again I won't be able to play d2 24/7........women...beer....it's tempting.....I guess I can always use Amazons for playthings...doh!
    I agree with jakeman. No caps on the clan, however, breaking the clan into smaller units isn't a bad idea. I just don't know how it would be controlled without having separate admins.

12. Qwarn

Qwarn Peasant

Market Rating:
    No, I think D2 is going to support video accelerators and up to 1024x768 or something.. It's just the stress test that doesn't have that.

13. Edward

Edward Unregistered

Yes it uses 3D accelerator cards, but that is an option. It will do resolutions down to 640x480 in software mode so they have to design multi-play with that in mind. i.e. if one lamer has his running in 640x480, then every character still needs to display on his screen.

------------------
    Edward, the Black Prince

14. Justice

Justice Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jakeman -=- IMHO I think you have made the right choice, but I also agree that perhaps "sub-clans" MIGHT be needed, but I think perhaps we need t wait and see how many people actually play and at what times {shrug} Like me I'm on late EST, and won't probably won't be on much on the weekends cuz thats when I'm the most busy at work. I guess what I'm saying is a wait and see attitude may not be a bad thing.

Best To All,
    Justice

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i've been thinking that maybe I'll have one member of each character be the leader for that character. Of course, I'm not exactly sure how this would work or what their responsibility would be.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

16. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I liked the idea of having different tribes for each character class. So you would have a tribe of 30 barbarians, 30 sorceress', 30 necros, 30 amazons and 30 paladins. That's a hundred and fifty people. Each tribe would have it's own channel since you can't put 150 people in 1 channel (I think the max is 30 anywho). Then for each tribe there would be a tribal leader who would act as communication between Jakeman and the rest of the tribe.

------------------
    By reading the above post you agree that your soul is mine.

[This message has been edited by cowofwar (edited 06-15-2000).]

17. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    yeah that's it! I'm going to seriously consider doing that.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

18. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I hereby nominate myself to be the leader of the sorceress tribe since I've been a mac user all of my life, I'm extremely computer literate, I can spell, I have the best computer out of almost everyone here, I own every single Blizzard game and plus I'm 16 and I have a GPA of 4.0 so I'm smart. I'm also responsable so I'm able to take responsability and organize things and make sure people know what's going on.
    -Jakeman, I'm sure you'll make the best choice.

Oh ya, plus my whoop ass computer runs 24/7 as a web-server so I could set it up to run a D2 server also.
    It's a G3/450 with 256mb ram running on cable(I get up to 3mbps). <--that's bits, not bytes!
    You can find out more about it at http://www.cowofwar.com
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by cowofwar (edited 06-16-2000).]

19. flytrap

flytrap Peasant

Market Rating:
    OOPs! I must have stumbled into the "BIG FUCKING EGOS" forum by accident......

20. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flytrap:
    OOPs! I must have stumbled into the "BIG FUCKING EGOS" forum by accident......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's OK, just try to watch where you're going next time.

------------------

Hitometer: 53,812,292 since 1995