Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Hmm...clan questions

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by gekko, Feb 25, 2001.

1. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Here comes Mr. newbie with more questions :) Anyway, about this nice clan of yours, are you looking for the greatest players ever or what? When i get my G4 i plan to pick up Diablo II, so i'm just curious.

Will the clan ever be on more games than just Diablo II?

And last but not least, does this M.A.C. clan just totally anihalate everyone else in Diablo II? :D

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    We play what we feel like. Pick up a game and ask if someone wants to play.

3. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I see how it is. Cause i've never really gotten into Diablo II and that's all i saw on the clan page.

On the other hand...UT is my game :)

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    What are you all looking at me for? :o

Ok, here it goes. Technically we are a general Mac gaming clan, not just Diablo 2. It's just that our clan site doesn't indicate this anywhere (and the design is also crappy. :D ). So this is why I'm working on a new clan site. The design is in the bag, but what good is a new design without better content? I've been learning PHP and MySQL trying to create my own member's database for the clan with profiles for some time now. Then one day I found vBulletin! This new forum conveniently does everything for me! I just have to figure out how to integrate the database with the clan site to list clan members, profiles, events (in vB 2.0... the event calendar). I've got a couple guys on the vB forums trying to hook me up with this kind of setup. In the mean time I've got a couple of visual layouts I'm tossing around:

http://www.mac-gamer.com/mactest/
    http://www.mac-gamer.com/mactest/rev2/

So far rev2 has about 98% of the votes. Rev1 has potential but is too black and white, ya know?

Your questions:
    1. are you looking for the greatest players ever or what? No, not really. We're looking for sucky players, all the good players are not welcome. hehe. :p
    2. Will the clan ever be on more games than just Diablo II? (already answered above)
    3. does this M.A.C. clan just totally anihalate everyone else in Diablo II? hehe. Ummm, D2 isn't really a game to define who is the best by annihilating other players... it's a game in which the person who can packet sniff, account hack, and scam the best takes the crown. :laugh:

5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I've seen some UT games organized on here. We have a whole assortment of UT smilies in fact...
    :rocket:
    :shock:
    :utplasma:
    :transloc:
    :minigun:

I'd be up for a UT game, I haven't dragged that CD out of its case in a while. Of course, my 56K connection leaves me at a disadvantage against most of the bandwidth-enhanced in here.

Game Ranger is a good place to meet for UT games, anyone else interested?

6. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I vote design 2 also. Using the vB database shouldn't be that hard. Just set the database as your vB one, then call up the information.

Hell, just look at vBulletin's code to figure out how to discplay the profiles, then just fit it into your page.

1. No, but i've never really played Diablo II that much, yet i'm interesting in joining. That was sorta the point of the question. I've never sucked at any game i've played, being the gamer that i am if you ever beat me it's just a matter of time before i come back and kick your ass. It's the attitude i have, and it suprisingly makes you better :)

2. Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament are more my game, your clan page should over these too :)

A couple days until i order my G4, then 4-6 weeks to ship. *sniff* It's so far away :(

7. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    After looking at the source of your new clan page, isn't there a MUCH easier way to do that? I mean, all that Javascript in the head and all those tables, couldn't it be cut down a lot? It seems like every new line is a seperate table on that site, it's crazy. It's probably something GoLive 5 did, but it still just looks insane.

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    GoLive

hehe. GoLive isn't known for it's streamlined code, but it works. :nod:

Re: integrating the database. I'm just learning this stuff, and I don't normally take to well to coding (speaking of the GoLive 5 scripting). But you're right, I'll look at the code of vB and I can prolly figure out how to do it. *looking*

9. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I just looked to see if i could help you, and i don't think it will work that way. The problem with vB is it has the code spanning through many different files.

What you need to do is just make a profiles page and put in the code yourself. What ever that GET username FROM user WHERE and all that fun stuff.

I'm just learning PHP myself, but i think that's how you would do it. The problem is you would have to do it for each user.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    ewwww...

I was hoping I could simply put in the user group I want listed. The "Clan Member" user group is already defined. I know you can do this somehow.

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    If you want to see nice code check out my site at the below address.

heeheehee. I know it's a shameless plug.

12. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    We do get the odd Quake 3 game once in a while, too. Well, we did. :D

13. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    ROFLMGDAO!

I looked at the source of your first page...very nice. It's so baisc you don't even have a body tag :)

But once i entered...that was a whole different story :) Thank God for command+w :D If i was on windows i could be there all day trying to close it.

14. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok, i was just curious. I would love to join the clan, just start playing games i've already mastered on PC, like UT :)

Facing Worlds is my board :) 139 frags without dying...all sniping one little area...all from the same place :) Then the redeemer got me so i decided to go kill the guy that just got me with a little thing we call the redeemer...at point-blank range :) I know he enjoyed every second of watching that fly straight at him. Mwahahaha!

Ok, enough of that. I'll check on joining when i get my G4. No use playing on a PowerBook *sigh*

15. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, I would love to play some people on MacAddict's server.... 206.57.19.197:7777

16. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    :wtf:

You did go to my site, right?
    There is indeed a body tag. And by the looks of it you clicked on run away, not proceed.

17. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ya...of course i clicked to run away. I mean a cow just got hit by a rocket, who in their right mind would proceed?

18. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    Holy Crap cowofwar... I have never run away before...Damn!

Kal

19. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    :( I just tried running away again on IE for Windoze, and it doesn't move the whole window :(

What you really should do is detect their OS, and if they use Windows have it direct them to Apple.com, and if they use a Mac let them proceed :D

20. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    hmmm, how would you detect their OS? Is that a java thing?

Hitometer: 53,852,873 since 1995