Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Highest DPS class?

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by MisterHalleck, Jul 5, 2005.

1. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm stuck in a quandary concerning DPS classes. Obviously any well-equipped character should be able to dish out the damage, but I'm trying to figure out on average how each spec/class ranks in the DPS meter. All I really know well is my Shadow build that I used to grind my way to 60 so far, but I think the ranking goes something like...

Fire mage (I hear crits go up to 1500)
    Shadow Priest (My average DPS was about 200-300 as a SP... crits for 1100)
    Arcane mage (I hear crits go up to 900-1000)
    Frost mage (still lower DPS)

(From highest to lowest DPS against a single target.) Where do Rogues and Hunters fit into this list, what specs, etc?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I am having a hard time ranking the classes. Any character can have good DPS. Warlocks can spec to destruction and own it up. Mages can spec to fire for high single target DPS. Hunters can get crazy guns with high agil and crit chance. Priests can go shadow. etc...

The only class I know well is the mage... specifically, the arcane mage. Where there are large groups of guys, no one can top my DPS from AOE. With single targets I am usually in the top 3 depending on if there is a good Rogue or Hunter.

3. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    You're talking about situations though. Burst vs. sustained. AoE vs. single target. Give more details and we can talk specifics.

4. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I was thinking raid spec- sustainble damage.

Basically which class would do the most damage to Ragnaros or Onyxia in a long fight.

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    For mages it's Fire, Frost, then Arcane in that order. Fire crits for 2200+ if you include the DoT from crit giving a 210% damage on crits. Frost can combo for 2000+ every time a target is frozen. Arcane can crit pretty good with IAE but only for about 500 or so unless you got a lot of +dmg gear. Arcane Missle don't benefit as much with +dmg gear since it gets spread out over time.

For general DPS I think it goes something like this:

Rogue
    Mage/Hunter (depending on situation)
    Priest (Shadow spec'd)

6. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hunters are not really trying to dish out as much dps as possible in MC and will almost never be in the top ten there unless they are told to do so. They are there.....for other reasons. What they are I am not sure of yet but its what ive been told by all raid guilds. All I know is they are needed but not strictly for dps. I need to find out some more details on this. The raid guilds say that the only time hunters are used for nothing but dps in MC is when their gear is not that great. Im sure there are many ways to go about it and I wish I knew all the details and secrets the raiding guilds have found. As for dps in general situationst there should really only be rogues, mages, hunters, and warlocks. I find a shadow specced priest at 60 nearly useless but thats my opinion.

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    For group / raid situations you should also consider your agro. Your damage doesn't matter if you land agro and die in 5 seconds. I know mages and priests have talents to reduce their agro output.

8. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Rogues are the biggest sustained dps to a single target, followed by Hunters. Mages drop sustained because their mana pool runs out. Either way though, you have to control your damage output in a raid because of aggro, as Jake mentioned.

The thing Hunters can do that is unique in Molten Core is use Tranquilizing Shot to remove the rage effect from a boss that is unbeatable otherwise. I forget which one, but you get the book of tranq shot from Lucifron - one of the first bosses in.

9. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    1. Hunter
    2. Warrior
    3. Rogue
    4. Mage
    5. everyone else

occasionally 2 and 3 switch, depending on the situation. hunters continually deal more damage by a tiny margin because they dont need to go chasing the monsters around like rogues and warriors.

10. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    that would be magmadar.

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Single target?

12. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    yes, 1-2 targets in a typical molten core-esque raid situation.

13. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ill just shut up about things I dont really know about from now on, lol.

14. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    I think the major problem with the mage DPS is that they dont stack their gear for damage.. they stack it for int, and it makes a huge difference. if you have 8000 mana but you nuke like a girl, it wont do you any good.

15. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hey, Elbereth is a girl!

;)

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I use dmg gear over stat gear. Maybe that's why I consistently do better than 4th place, usually bested only by rogues.

17. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    im not sure why the hunters arent topping out the list, or at least keeping up with the rogues.. it makes plenty of sense that your warriors arent up there, because on a PvE server there's little motivation to not spec protection.

18. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    (Taking notes...)

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I also use Arcane Power every 3 minutes (last talent on Arcane tree), so that ups my DPS too. But I drink like a mad man.

20. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    One thing I've noted is that a Shadow Priest uses DOT as a way to up the DPS... using Soul Flay and SW:Pain together, after a couple of attacks to build up shadow vulnerability, I see a constant stream of "200...200...200" stringing out above my target's head, then the occaisional "600... 1000!!!" using Mind Blast every 5 seconds. I know that a fire mage has a 6-second cast of Pyroblast, which is probably the biggest burst-damage a mage can pull off, and with Combustion that can probably crit for a lot. But that's only once every couple minutes, and the other bread-and-butter fire spells are Scorch and Fireball. How does a fire mage stack up against a shadow priest, coming from a mage's mouth?

Hitometer: 53,943,806 since 1995