Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

HELP!!!!! System Failure???

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Rae, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Rae

Rae Peasant

Market Rating:
    Before last night, this had only happened twice, but last night I'm sitting at my computer and downloading some things and erasing unwanted files (nothing important, just old mp3's and crap like that) and all of the sudden...half of the screen goes black with white writing saying all this stuff like "system failure". If I press the reboot button the side of my imac (I'm running Jaguar) it starts up just fine, and everything seems normal again, but this happened about 4 times last night. Anyone know why or what to do? Please HELP!!!!!

2. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    My friend. You have experienced a kernal panic. i got one during Warcraft 3 once. As for fixing it, no clue.

If the problem persists just let us know, but if the system runs without flaw you'll be alright.

Or contact your nearest Poison Control Center, and have all the poisons consumed on hand to be ready. ;)

3. filburt1

filburt1 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Reformatting usually fixes crazy things, as does keeping up with drivers. I got kernel panics when using crappy old drivers for my Jukebox which weren't even designed for 10.2...

4. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    :noid: Wish Apple made kernel compilation more accessible. I'm assuming OS X drivers are just kernel modules which would be better off in the kernel.

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    What did you install last night?

Hitometer: 53,935,641 since 1995