Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Help Me Choose

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by OsIriS, Mar 1, 2008.

1. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Okay, I think I've narrowed down my choices to a hunter and a paladin to be sort of my main character on Hyjal, but I'm not sure which one to play to 70. In your opinion which is the more useful and more fun to play?

Here are the concerns for Hunters: How much of a pain in the ass is it to keep your pet content in the higher levels? And how much do you spend on ammo?

For Paladins: Do people expect Paladins to essentially be secondary healers at level 70? It seems that Paladins don't really excel at any one thing, are they frustrating to play post 50?

2. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Actually hunters are quite overpowered with the right gear. Pets aren't needed at all unless you solo or pvp but groupwise hunters are fine without pets and sometimes discouraged to use pets in groups/raid.

Pallys are more likely to be main healers than secondary healers. With enough +healing pallys just spam different rank flash heals. Huge heals are slow and with the damage spikes would sometime cause wipes or at least some panic/concerns. Pallys are also annoying in PvP with bubble + heal ability and the armor that they can obtain. Ret pally does pretty good dps in pvp also so they can be a double role.

3. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I guess I'll play both to 20 and then reexamine the situation and how much fun I think both classes are. Right now I'm having a little more fun with my Pally, but he's REALLY low level and can't do much.

4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Except that Beast Mastery might be the highest DPS spec for hunters right now, but its damage is reliant on keeping the pet alive. Talents like Ferocious Inspiration are great in a raid setting. The problem is fights where it's hard to keep your pet up or where you know for a fact the pet is going to die (Illidan).

Marksmanship specced hunters can do respectable DPS without the added headache of dealing with the pet.

Retribution is pretty much the most widely ridiculed spec in the game right now.

5. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    i think it's a tie with moonkin

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Our guild has a boomkin that rolls against me on cloth damage gear.

7. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I went marksmanship with my hunter for now. He's only level 18, so it's not like I've gotten very far in the tree. The paladin is still below 10 and I haven't really played with him much. We'll see.

Oh, and I've convinced 3 friends of mine to start alliance characters on Hyjal and they seem to be enjoying them. We've got a NE hunter, a Draenei Shaman and a gnome Warlock building up. So there's a chance for a little new blood and life to be breathed into the guild.

8. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've decided to stick with my hunter for now. Whenever I log on, I'm just drawn to play him more than the paladin character. But I'll keep the pally around for later.

9. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    When in groups, feign death is to be used as an agro reducer, not a life saver.

*hunter pulls agro*
    *aimed shot*
    *aimed shot*
    *aimed shot*
    *feign into other dps*
    *mage dies*

:monster:

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    *mage cast ice block*
    *healer dies*
    :p

11. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'll try, Jake ;)

I have a feeling it'll be a LOOONGG time before I'm running with you though. So you won't have to worry about my noob ass for awhile.

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    *ice block fades*
    *mage still dies*

13. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Wrong...

*ice block fades*
    *turn around*
    *blink*
    *cast invisibility while still running*
    *mage goes ooc while rest of group dies*

:p

Works in raids also as long as mage is still invisible when everyone in raid is dead or ooc.
    Just have to time invisibility at the right moment. Saved me so much gold and makes other casters so mad cause they can't do it. Works on practically every raid boss except Archimonde and RoS.

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Works great in 5-mans and even 10-mans, but in 25-mans not so much, because it's kinda dependent on the noobs in the raid to just die. More often then not they'll try to run as far as they can before the boss or his adds catch them and by then my invis has run out and I'm back in combat.

Also I'm usually right behind the tank on the aggro list so waiting to invis isn't an option. Most of the time I just save myself the headache and die along with everybody else.

15. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    So are there any officers hanging around that could invite me when you see me? I don't want to keep logging in looking to bother Jaden. The character is Nascien.

16. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I am the only officer that still logs in. I will be on again tonight but I am usually afk. I have been busy lately.

17. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    no problem. I'll just play and if you catch me...whatever.

Hitometer: 53,850,637 since 1995