Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

HELP HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Peadur, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    For all who are following the saga...
    So I got my external firewire drive, and copied everything to there. Then I figured I'd start up off of my drive, format my internal drive, then partition it, and install x... but I could start up off of my external drive. So I installed a new system onto my external drive... and I stall cant start off of it. Sooooo... can you not boot off of a firewire drive? If so, how? and if not, WHY???!!!:confused:

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    try holding down option right when you turn on the computer. This will display all valid startup disks that you can boot from. I thought you could boot from firewire on Macs.... just not sure of how to do it. Knowing Apple I would assume it's integrated with the Startup Disk control panel. I would think it should come up by holding down option too.

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    :confused:

I thought they were bootable.....maybe it's a shitty drive. Go to their webpage and find out.

4. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    hmmm... i dont know what to say. It's a brand new maxtor 80gig firewire hard drive. I first copied my old system to one partition (no workie) then clean installed on another. When I open the startup disk control panel, I get a lies of all the partitions on the drive, and it shows the os installed on the partitions, but I cant select them. hmmmmmmm

Ill check their website, and maybe call them.
    thanks

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    is the system folder on the firewire HD blessed? (does it have the special folder icon?)

if it doesn't try moving the finder file out of that system folder and then back in and it will usually work. You can't boot of it if the system folder isn't blessed.

6. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    belssings abound... both backup system folders have the blessing going on. I just dunno, I'll have to call maxtor tomorrow.

>> interesting... I just tried the hold the option key at startup, and it displayed my hard drive, the os 9 cd, AND both drives with system software on them... BUT, when I selected one of them, it gave me grey screen, then the disk with a ? on it. Have you heard anything about needing to use the imac firmware update before being able to boot from external firewire? That's my next plan.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2001
  7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    remember, be a total bitch on the phone or else I guarantee they will give you the run around:

you: "how do i boot to your firewire HD?"
    maxtor: "it's an apple computer, call them."

you: "how do i boot to a firewire HD on my mac?"
    apple: "it's a maxtor drive, call them."

:rolleyes:

8. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    HARDIEHAR!!!!! It's all about the firmware baby! I called maxtor, and they said that all imac DV's and g4 should be bootable, assuming they shipped with os 9.0.2 or later. I then reasoned that I had shipped with 8.5 ( i was an earlier buyer) and that I prob needed to firmware update, so I did, and now everything is PERFECT. My thanks again to those who have drug me kicking and screaming to sucess (you know who you are ;)

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
  10. Zephor

Zephor Peasant

Market Rating:
    ROOOOO

Hitometer: 53,853,217 since 1995