Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

HC venom-mancer

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Peadur, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    i'm making a hc venom=mancer, and I thought I remembered someone planning on making one a few months ago.... if someone did, any tips? And for those of you on the east who would like to support my silly quest to get my venomancer to hell difficulty, I could really use some items. Good magic knives of any kind would be appreciated, of course, those with posion damage on them would be best. Oh yea, if someone runs into venomward, I'd like that too.. its in theme.

2. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    Actually, now that I look at it, venom ward sucks more than I remembered... so I'll take a pass on it. But any light or mage plate would be appreciated.

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I have a Carebear Venomancer that I got up to level 21. I haven't played him in a few weeks. Maybe I will revisit him.

I've actually found that items with poison damage on them already are a little counterproductive. I was using the Snakecord and Jade Tan Do for a while, and the way posion damage stacks is a little weird. If you manually add together your Poison Dagger damage with the poison damage from your items, it comes out to less than what the character screen reports, even if you throw in the base damage of the weapon. At first glance this sounds great, but the problem is that every time you stab something, the duration resets and you don't get the full effect of your poison. Obviously, then, you have two options:

1. Stab everything on the screen once and run like hell while the poison does it's work. Effective with stacked poison items, but you have to have a lot of patience. This technique will probably work better in the X-pack when poison duration is reduced.

2. Stab everything once, turn PD off, and continue stabbing with a normal attack. This is where poison items become counterproductive, cause you can't turn off the "native" poison damage. I've found that unless there's a mob, I like to use this technique. One stab to start the poison, and then normal stabs to do additional damage.

Other tips:

Bone Armor, Bone Armor, Bone Armor.

You need at least a Clay Golem to draw some fire. I was going to try to go without, but Necros just can't stand toe to toe with a gang of monsters like a Barb can. They just don't do enough damage to control a crowd.

I am undecided on whether to max P. Dagger. Thinking ahead to Posion Nova makes me wonder if I will continue to use PD once I have PN. I think I have around 8 points in it now. The advantage to abandoning PD is that you can switch to a higher damage weapon.

Believe it or not, don't bother boosting Energy too much. You get natural mana boosts when you level up. You may need some early on to keep your Bone Armor up and keep using PD, but if you use technique #2 above and have some mana leech, you'll be fine as long as you are patient. Put those extra points into the other three. You need STR for armor, DEX for AR, and VIT for hit points. Once I get to 100 STR so I can wear Silks, I will pump VIT and DEX exclusively. DEX will be more important in X-pack for blocking as well.

Curses: Life Tap will probably be quite useful, and Lower Resist will probably be helpful as well. Don't pump IM like you would with a minion Necro. Dim Vision is always good, you can poison everybody and then DV, they just stand there and die. Terror, Confuse, and Attract are good for crowd control, use your fave. I like Terror because it's a prereq for LR, but it doesn't work on everything. Decrepify will get boosted in the X-pack, and it's also a prereq for LR.

Anyway, I am somewhere in Act 2, Andy wasn't too much of a hassle, the poison/run/poison technique worked fairly well on her. Act 2 is a little tougher, because a lot of the monsters are poison resistant (undead and maggots) and Duriel is very likely going to be a MAJOR pain in the ass. He's just too damn quick to play keep away. I haven't faced him yet, but I don't like to think about it. I have a feeling my Clay Golem will have to pull some weight in that battle, and it will probably be one of the few times I use IM. Poison Nova would help, if I can get to clvl 30 before I face him. I will put a point in Bone Prison just to use on Mephy. Poison him and then BP. His attacks don't penetrate until he knocks it down. I'll let you know how it works once I get there. As for Big D (and Baal eventually), I'm gonna have to shoot from the hip, just like with Duriel.

The Venomancer is providing an interesting challenge. Like I said, patience is key. I don't know that I'd want to try him in HC, but more power to you. Good luck.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i think charly was making a venom mancer on hcwest. i think he is moving out of his parents house right now and won't be around for a little while during the move.

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    mm...venom in CF

Hitometer: 53,589,374 since 1995