Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

HC nec distribution

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    just started an HC nec. Looking for input. I'm fairly experienced with necs but I like hearing opinions.

I know that dex on a nec is worthless. strength goes only as high as needed for armor. vit and energy get the rest.

I'm going with some beefed golems, maybe revives (not sure on that), prolly max BS once I get that high, max iron maiden or no? what about corpse?

2. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    i think it mostly depends on how social you are gonna be. If you mostly play alone, I'd go ahead with revives, maxed golem mastery, iron maiden, and blood spirit, so you can cream enimies that are skipping your minions. However, if you play with strangers, I found they get very resentful if you have lots of revives. Even HC players get impatien, especially since if they are not used to seeing revives, they get confused and try to attack them. I got some HC necros into the 50's and never thought CE was good to put too many points into. It's good for clearing out a tight passage, but ever since they nerfed it, it has not seemed worth putting more than a few points into. From my experience, I'd say first try to get IM and your golems up, then once you get those pretty close to maxed, start on BS, then go where you will from there.

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, I am not much of an HC player, but you are right about Dex, at least until the X-pack comes out.

CE will work for normal diff, but forget it after that. It does damage of 60-100% of what the life of the monster is in normal difficulty, so the beefed up NM and Hell monsters pretty much shrug it off, even with AD or LR in effect.

For Strength it depends on your target armor and/or shield. 75 is enough if you are satisfied with the Garb and a 3D Tower (or Sigon's Guard). If you want to get to Silks, as some Necros do, then you will need 100. In the X-pack you may want to settle for a 3D large shield if you aren't going to be putting any into Dex for the blocking, in which case even less Str would be needed.

Some say max IM, but I am not entirely convinced. There are some worthwhile arguments to maxing it: There are no diminishing returns with IM, each point is worth the same as the last, and the mana usage doesn't increase. However by slvl 10 I think it returns 425% damage or so, which is certainly enough to get by. At that point I'd consider putting points into other skills. You can always return to IM later on.

An oft overlooked curse is Dim Vision. Good for keeping projectile monsters like those annoying blowdart flayer MF'ers at bay while you deal with the close range guys. Blinded shamans also can't see to revive their dead buddies. 1 point only here plus what you can get from + skills items, recast as needed. Decrepify is being boosted in D2X, and although it's mostly a PvP curse, it has some Amp Dmg built into it, plus it slows monsters down, giving you some getaway time. It's also a prereq for LR, so it gets a point.

If you have spare points laying around, don't forget Bone Armor. Gives you a little extra cushion against physical attacks, could be the difference between life or death, esp in HC.

Consider the poison branch, if you are looking ahead to the X-pack. Poison will be much more effective then, and I expect we may see a Renaissance of poison Necros. P-Nova may be a rocking skill in D2X.

I am not real big on skeletons or revives (I don't use any at all), but in HC you may want them if only as lag protection. Plus in the X-pack they will be transparent (you can walk through them) and boosted in health. I say one point only in Skeletons and Mages and Revives, and whatever you get from + skills. 40 skeletons walking around are just annoying.

Don't go nuts beefing Golems, you can always recast them. Take advantage of the BG/IM bug while it is still around. There are a lot of critics for IG, but I don't hate him all that much. Built in thorns at slvl 2, and there is really no need to use magic items, although you certainly can if you want. But a basic short sword makes a fine IG. IG's biggest disadvantage is you can't cast him over rivers or gaps like those in the Arcane Sanctuary. (Unless you get lucky and there is a metal item laying over there.) I am sticking with one point in each of the Golems, one in Golem Mastery and one in Summon Resist, plus what points you can get with your items. That may change in D2X, we will see.

If you are going to be using Mages and Bone Spirit (I favor maxing BS, by the way), don't forget about Lower Resist. That's worth at least a few points, you start hitting diminishing returns by about slvl 6 or 7 as I recall, so don't go nuts with it.

Equipment (at least until D2X): Heavenly Garb (or Silks if you prefer), Worm or Tarn, Lenymo, Frosts, Ume's or a decent rare, Eyeless or 3D or Sigon's, and two SoJ's. (Love 'em or hate 'em, they are a Necro's friend.) Use whatever boots you like, I prefer Vidala's Fetlock for the fastest run and stamina boost. They are low def, but you shouldn't be getting close enough for def to matter anyway.

Anyway, I have described a pretty cookie cutter Necro, so none of this should surpise you. And keep in mind I usually play SC (or Carebear as some of you like to call it). Of all the chars, though, I would think a Necro would remain the most unchanged from SC to HC.

Wow, this post got longer than I had intended. Sorry. :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2001
  4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ohh, and I forgot about Bone Wall and Prison. One point each. BP is especially handy for Mephisto once you have Bone Spirit. His Ice Ball and Charged Bolt attacks cannot penetrate the Prison until he knocks it down, but your Spirit does without damaging it. (The same cannot be said for Bone Spear, unfortunately.) BP is also handy for Oblivion Knights, since their magic attacks (except for BS) cannot get through it either. It gets knocked down fairly quickly, but it's simple to recast. Using BP effectively takes a little practice, but it's worth the effort, IMHO.

Hitometer: 53,842,563 since 1995