Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Hardcore characters...

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Muskie, Sep 11, 2000.

1. Muskie

Muskie Peasant

Market Rating:
    I always thought this was an intriquing idea and I wondered if anyone in the clan had gone this route yet. My Amazon is level 30 now with decent stuff but still dies too much. I was reading that especially in Hardcore Necro's was the way to go as the minions could save you in lag by being inhuman shields. I was in hell last night (first time) and two sorceresses said Amazon's have a rought go of it solo, I keep himing and hawing how to handle my character. This is my first and really only character so it is something of an ongoing experiment. I may start another one, possibly even a hardcore character in the future.

Ice spells intrique me but with all my experience in Amazons it makes sense to go with what you know. I've never been a slave to the bow, but with ice arrow you might take less of a beating...

Anyway is anyone playing in Hardcore mode and if so with what character types? Esc and saving is supposedly what you do when the going gets tough or lag sets in... but it's gotta be tough to get over level 30 let alone up in the 50's in hardcore... I think with only one life, it is more realistic and you'd play more cautiously instead of running head long to your death.

Also you allocate your points differently. I know I plan to have more health for my next character if I start another one...

2. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I started a hardcore paladin. He is only a level 5 right now. It is tough to have one and use it b/c I am very much afraid that he will die and then I will be sad.

------------------
    For the first time, in a long time, my life was perfect. Then I woke up.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I've had lag death too many times on my regular realm character to even consider a hardcore.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

4. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Lag, it kills. It's deadlier than Diablo's pink lightning, yet it can only be defeated by Blizzard. We are powerless against it. [​IMG]

------------------
    keeksy \kekse\ adj : disgusting or repulsing -keeksiness n

5. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have a level 32 amazon, and what I do is use a Valkyrie. She's 3rd level and can take a lot of heat. The second thing I do is use a decoy. I almost always go solo, no problem. I am in act II quest 2 nightmare.

In addition to those, I use the spell that slows down missiles, which helps a lot in act 4, and also use inner sight? which lowers the defense of enemies.

I have a hardcore amazon, and I'm level 12 now. I am specializing in javelin. The poison javelin/lightning javelins are quite nice, and the lightning thrusts should enhance the javelin damage nicely. However, I haven't spoken to any upper level amazons to see if this technique will work, although I think it should.

I am trying to go nice and slowly and luckily have found 2 rings that gain %5 and %6 hit points with each hit, but would love to get a % mana ring hopefully soon! I'm still not sure whether I will have to use a spear/pike later or not. I like using a shield if possible.

Wran

6. darkill-usion

darkill-usion Peasant

Market Rating:
    i have lvl 4 necro and i think we should all start hardcore people!!!

7. Zitta

Zitta Peasant

Market Rating:
    I got a lvl 33 amazon, and use valkyrie and strafe. Strafe is great in large crowds if you have mana steal: the the more you shoot the more mana you are getting back. At risky places i go slow, instead of just running into the middle of things. Decoy is very useful in many situations, I almost always use it when fighting bosses. I also got a couple of +skill attributes on my armor and bow.

------------------
    It's too bad she won't live, but then again who does...

8. Muskie

Muskie Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've used Javelins a lot in the begining of my one original Closed character. I now have Valkerie but I find the valkerie doesn't kill much though it can take a lot of damage, though not agains Diablo. Decoy is definitely under used. I've taken to using both when I can. I've used some inner sight and slow missiles particularly against all the blow gun guys in the jungle and skeleton bowman.

I will probably try out a hard core guy, but I just don't have the time like the people who have the really high characters or multiple characters.

I had little luck using javelins against Diablo, he has much greater range then me, I can't see him to target him but his various fire attacks can still reach me. The pink lightnigh is leathal, I've been using a pike in hell, or a shield and axe. I don't care to strike so slow but the pike does so much damage. I think a greater emphasis on Jab early would have helped me at this stage.

Items are definitely overly important in Diablo II I'd liked to have seen character development and actual player skill be more of a factor then who has the biggest stick.

My harddrive re-indexed just as I was about to kill Diablo for the first time the other night. Usually it just minimizes the game, maybe I panicked or something as the game quit with a Type II error or something. That was it for playing Diablo II this week I have loads of other stuff taking up my time.

How many points do you think for a future Amazon to put into Decoy. I basically tried out almost all the skills on my first character though I don't have many bow skills. I have a lot in critical hit and I'm thinking for hardcore to put greater emphasis on the defensive skills evade, dodge rather then my early obsession with critical hit.

Muskie

9. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes, one problem I've had is with the bosses. The only thing that worked well was to use jab.

I looked at the javelin development and am wondering if lightning with the javelin would give a high enough damage rate to kill the boss, or whether I would have to switch to a pike and kill Diablo et al. Three strong attacks with a good pike per jab attack ends up doing lots and lots of damage!

Wran

10. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    I had a javelin amazon and she did good all through normal mode. I used jab as my primary attack, but had poison jav and lighting jav handy to throw with. But when i got to NM I was geting my butt kicked. I couldn't kill anything fast enough, and more than two monsters at a time was too much for my amazon, so I switched to a pike using jab and plowed through things. one bad thing about using javelins is you run out fast if you're throwing them, and not very many get dropped and usually not very many are for sale. So I fought mainly melee with my javs, but they were always ready to be thrown also.
    Now I have a bowazon, using strafe and immolation arrows mostly (immolation is very good against ghosts, undead and bugs I've noticed. It also takes any enemy down fairly quickly, even in NM.

------------------
    "A mage's soul is forged in the crucible of the magic"

11. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm going to try to put some points into chain lightning with a spear/javelin thrust. I am hoping that this skill would help attack multiple monsters at a given time in NM, but we'll see if I ever get there. The servers lag a lot and I don't play my hc character when it lags...

Wran

Hitometer: 53,850,945 since 1995