Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Got my Powerbook!!

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jedsia, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, just setting up my new Powerbook G3/400, may not be the newest fastest mac, but it's MINE :)
    Anyway, why is the forum asking for my login info everytime I read o post, or do anything in the private forum for the matter? I checked my cookies and they're on. does anyone know what would cause this. I'm trying to get back to the orignal loggin screen to make sure I checked the "remember password" button, but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe if I completely leave the site.
    Anywa, other than that wierdness, i love my new book :D

2. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    What color? This is vitally important, you see...

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Congrats... I have a 40 Mhz G3 Pismo PowerBook too.....

And it ROCKS for playing games....

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    cough...

5. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Gee . . . wish I had one of those . . . are you sure it rocks? :D

--Haite

6. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, black of course Sparhawke :)

Can't afford that TiBook, even if it's only $500 more. I had to scrape enough money together as it was for this gem. :D

I'm assuming that 40Mhz Powerbook was a typo :) or did I miss that model?

7. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    hey Jedsia, get a QuickCam so we can video conference. :eek: :D

Regarding the forum issues. Try going to "profile" and redoing your cookie stuff. Or try hitting logout at the bottom right and then relogging in.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    ooops... hehe

400 mhz , but you all knew that anyways....

9. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hey, Gilg... I've got a IIci for you here if you're really interested in using a powerhouse 40 Mhz system...:D

10. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Isn't Jedsia married Jakeman?

11. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Got the forum issue resolved, or rather it seemed to resolve itself.... no idea. :)

Video conference eh, right.... dare I ask what kind ;)

This thing rocks on b.net, only bad part is having to hold down the function button to utilize my hotkeys. Is there a way to lock it somehow so I can use my function buttons w/o pressing the function enabler? Playing an amazon it isn't a big deal, i don't switch skills too often, but playing a sorc would be a nightmare. I kept forgetting to hold the function button while playing and my screen kept getting dimmer or brighter :D
    I may break down an buy a USB keyboard just for playing games if I can't get used to this. Auto got me going on a hardcore character and I'd hate to die just because I couldn't switch skills in time.

12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Whaddya mean...? I have my skills on the F1 - F8 keys...on my powerbook.

it doesn't do this for you?

13. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    My skills are set, but I have to hit a function key every time I want to switch skills on the powerbook.

Is there a function lock key?

Wran

14. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jedsia - go to Control Panels -> Keyboard, then click on the "function keys" button. There's an option to make it so the function keys are primary and the dim/volume/numlock stuff are the "fn" toggled ones.

Oh, and congrats on your beautiful new laptop. Those Ti owners are going to miss having expansion bays sooner or later... consider:
    - Both bays using batteries with 2 additional spares - 16 hours uninterrupted power (cuz you just swap into the side the that got drained first).
    - VST expansion bay hard drives - up to 18 GB of bootable bliss - that's a crapload of MP3's for when you're plugged-in using your system as a stereo (I just DJ'd a 7 hour party for someone last night and I wasn't even there... there were another 4 hours of music in that playlist that they didn't have a chance to get to).
    - Expansion bay CD burner. mmm.... maybe even an expansion by superdrive someday?
    - Heck, every once in a while you'd put back the original DVD drive and use that too... ;)

Of course Firewire almost covers most of those points, except for the super easy powered-on battery swapping (Pismo & Ti can boot from a firewire HD right? - my Lombard can't :(). For stuff like zip drives, floppies, superdisk, etc. I prefer USB/firewire devices anyway.

15. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    As alsways the voice of wisdom. I'll change my settings for keyboard. I thought of that, but hadn't tried it yet.
    Ya, expandability was one of the reasons for this purchase, thought of getting a cube, but I like the mobility. Plus this spring/summer we'll be making a trek across country to move (possibly to Everett Wash) and it'll be great to set up the PB so my boys can watch movies in the car (talk about keeping them occupied for a few days :) ).

Can you upgrade PB's? or is the processor soldered? Just curious for future refference. Right now this is the fastest computer in my house (gee, right now I have four computers, five if you count my junky freebie PC laptop, ok six if you count my Mac SE 30 in the closet). Talk about computer central :D
    You should see the look on people's faces when they come into our den area, with all the computers in a row.

16. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    You can indeed upgrade PBs, but it is an involved process. Someting like sending them the entire motherboard and they send you a new one. Pricey to say the least. I think you're better off leaving your PBs innards untouched for as long as you can, get a 2004 cube when your PB no longer satisfies your gaming needs. For non-gaming needs, I don't forsee my '99 PB being obsolete for a very long time (well, OK it already can't run virtual PC with windows 2k - but other than that...).

There are cigarete lighter powered power adapters available for Powerbooks, that would be the way to go for a long trip. I envy your move to the Pacific Northwest - I used to live out there and am now stuck back on the East coast.

17. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    and whats so horrible about the east coast?

18. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    It smells funny. ;)

19. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Nothings wrong with the east, it's just not home :)
    I've been displaced for over ten years now, it's time to get back to the Sound. :D

20. Hannibal~MAC

Hannibal~MAC Peasant

Market Rating:
    Keeksy you live in texas, so shut your mouth

Hitometer: 53,810,998 since 1995