Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

got a 27'' dell lcd

Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by Jakeman, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=222-7315

It's the 2707WFP. It's an excellent monitor.

Pros:
    - same res as 24'' (1920x1200) but with larger pixel size which is actually nicer because it's easier to read text and you can sit farther away from it because things are slightly bigger, but it's not blocky at all.
    - higher quality enclosure and stand that is unique to the 27''. The 27'' has a smoked glass base and brushed aluminum frame while the 24'' and 30'' share the same plastic enclosures which are said to be slightly wobbly and of lesser quality.
    - highest native res (1920x1200) that still requires only a single link DVI connection (the 30'' is 2560x1600 which requires dual link). It's also the highest native res that is still reasonable for gaming without having SLI video cards. Many games simply refuse to run at 2560x1600 too, saying nothing of your video cards.
    - fast response time (6ms).
    - PIP support (picture in picture) over s-video and composite. It's where you can have a little tiny screen in the top right corner on top of your screen. This feature is also unique to the 27''.
    - highly rated for it's color response, while many LCDs have subtle problems with color depth (too light, too dark, some colors aren't "true").
    - the native res is high enough to play 1080 HD movies. Note that you need a lot of CPU horsepower to play that quality on a computer.

Cons:
    - $1000 price tag.
    - the included base can't rotate the screen 90 degrees for a vertical picture (who even uses that?) unlike the 24'' and 30''.

I have been using it for 3 days now and I like it very much. WoW is huge now.

2. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Looks very nice. I used a 20" Dell ultrasharp monitor at a job I once had, and liked it. Of course, now I am partial to these: Cinema Display But I (kinda) have to since I work for them. ;)

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    supposedly Dell and Apple use the same panels.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I just noticed that all of the Apple monitors are of sizes / resolutions that minimize the pixel pitch which is opposite of my 27'' which maximizes it. They only offer the smallest possible panel for each resolution. For example, Apple's 23'' is the same resolution as my 27'' which is really cramming those pixels in there. They don't offer any intermediate sizes for each resolution like Dell does.

I tend to get eye strain with a small pixel pitch. It's probably different for Macs because the OS X GUI is pretty large and everything is very scalable, so they can probably achieve a finer picture with the small pixel pitch while not having things be too small and tight.

:scratchc:

5. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I think you are correct.

:scratchc:

6. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Wow, that is really nice J. Buy me one as well?

Hitometer: 53,593,938 since 1995