Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Goodbye IBM, hello Intel?

Discussion in 'Mac' started by cowofwar, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    http://www.macrumors.com/

You can see the Mac users slowly convincing themselves by looking at the ratings of the news articles on this site.

All of the recent articles are about the Intel switch. The first articles from a week ago are either equally positive and negative, or more negative. The more recent articles (like the one about Yonah) are overwhelmingly positive. The articles in between make for a smooth transition between the two extremes.

INTEL IS THE DEVIL BOBBY!

Intel is bad but I guess we can live with it.

Intel is pretty good actually.

OMGBBQ INTEL!

:jerkit:

2. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    And it's pretty much going to be impossible to make a real comparison between the next gen Intel chip and whatever IBM could have provided had the relationship continued. I'm not convinced yet that Intel will outperform AMD, given AMD's track record. But only time will tell. I'm still not sure what I want to do at this point. I obviously can' keep a computer I bout in 1999 around much longer before it becomes completely irrelevant, but I'm having some misgivings about completely abandoning OS X at this point too.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    I would think Cows earlier argument that even if you buy a Mac this summer, by the time the new models roll out, are patched and upgraded to a usable level, and compatibility with 10.4 and earlier is outgrown.... you will have probably around 3-4 years.

How long do you really intend to use that machine anyways? Usually somewhere in the neighbothood of 3-5 years before buying a new one, and then the older one is still pretty darn usable for a couple years more as a backup.

4. ckmonster

ckmonster Peasant

Market Rating:
    Intel

It is scary now. Intel is now going to manufacture processors for MAC's. This will give them a huge market boost and will also give them a shot on a monopoly on the processor market. -True AMD fan-

5. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I love AMD. So much in fact that I make love to my processor every night.

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Thanks for that insider information. I hope you have your sources protected.

7. ckmonster

ckmonster Peasant

Market Rating:
    It came from the news paper

Well it came from the Los Angeles Times so it must be accurate. I love AMD

8. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    It's old news. We were discussing this weeks ago, Cow was just being sarcastic.

Yeah it's a bit sacreligious, but I'm hoping it will boost Apple's market share when Mac ports of PC programs can be churned out that much more easily. It's an incentive to the software industry more than anything... what does the end user care as long as they have the same UI and support?

9. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Threads merged.

10. ckmonster

ckmonster Peasant

Market Rating:
    Bad

Bad thing will happen. The AMD is gonna have some trouble now that motorola is useless. Glad to see how long it took Intel to get out thier dual core

11. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    was it Intel or IBM that has the new cell processor? It has something like 8 or 16 combined CPU's... pretty scary stuff :)

12. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    IBM. the Cell is nothing special, it's a regular PPC chip that's actually worse than most of what IBM makes. the only impressive things about it are the hyped up name and the hypothetical plans IBM has for it. even still, the Cell-enabled-cluster thing doesn't even have to be the Cell chip... again, everything that could possibly be impressive will not be with the current generation of chips.

Hitometer: 53,597,044 since 1995