Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Good deal on upgrade card?

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jedsia, Aug 14, 2000.

1. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Does anyone here know a place to get a good deal on a G3 400 upgrade card for a UMAX J700 604e computer. I'm thinking of buying a new computer for myself for Christmas and want to get hubby an upgrade card. We've found a couple of good sites, but just wondering if anyone out there has a favorite place to buy hardware for a good price.

------------------
    "A mage's soul is forged in the crucible of the magic"

2. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jedsia:
    Does anyone here know a place to get a good deal on a G3 400 upgrade card for a UMAX J700 604e computer. I'm thinking of buying a new computer for myself for Christmas and want to get hubby an upgrade card. We've found a couple of good sites, but just wondering if anyone out there has a favorite place to buy hardware for a good price.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Other World Computing (OWC) is a good place. I just bought a Sonnet IDE card to install a RAID in my work machine and they were prompt. I can't speak ont he quality of the Sonnet accelerators, but their IDE card and the manual that comes with it are excellent.

If I were you, I'd check out Accelerate Your Mac (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com). They're not associated with the XLR8 accelerator manufacturer, as far as I know, and they have a user-review upgrade database which is excellent. Lots of good feedback.

You also might want to try MacGurus (http://www.macgurus.com). Their theme is 'revolutionary' (communist revolutionary, to be precise), but their FAQs are good, if a bit dense. Naturally they try to steer you towards stuff they sell (they're not TOTALLY communist, heh), but they're pretty reliable.

------------------
    I say we nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Hitometer: 53,825,127 since 1995