Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Gas Mileage Around the World

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gilgamesh, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Just curious as to a question my wife asked me...

What is the standard gas mileage cars get around the world?? I would imagine that US cars are somewhere around 18-20/20-26 MPG on average.

I was out shopping yesterday looking at cars... The Ho0nda Civic was one of the best at 30/38 MPG. (city/highway)... Most seemed to be around 18/24 or 20/26. Was NOT looking at trucks, Minivans, Vans, SUV... just the economy class sedans.

2. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Americans tend to favor larger cars, that's why the gas mileage is most likely lower here than in other countries. For instance, the body for the Acura TSX that sells here in the U.S. is what Honda uses for its body for the Accord in Europe and Japan (just to give you an example of what they view as a full sized sedan vs. what we like to think of as one).

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    yeah.. I know that Americans have some of the largest cars/trucks for personal use in the world.

I'm curious as to what those smaller European cars get, and if Canadian cars have better gas mileage due to some Canadian laws...

4. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    The only foreign car manufacturer's web site I found that posted gas mileage was Holden (Australia). And for their small compact cars (Barina, Astra) it looks like their getting 31 mpg on something, I couldn't tell if it was city driving or highway driving.

5. ckmonster

ckmonster Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yep

My mom drives a honda CRV gets 28/32 i believe and american's like to feel the power of big cars lol

6. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    It also has something to do with defying authority. People tell us that big, gas guzzling cars are responsible for poisoning our air, increasing the rate of global warming and putting a strain on global oil demand and that we should think about conserving gas, buying hybrid or more gas efficient cars, and we go out and buy Dodge Magnums and Hummers, then move as far away from our jobs as possible to give us the longest commute you can possibly think (sometimes 100 miles round trip) creating miles and miles of surburban pollution and then get pissed when gas prices reach $2.00 (actually it's $3.50 around my house right now, but that's a special case).

It's the same thing with food. Fried food, fast food is horrible for you. You will all have massive heart attacks, strokes, develop adult onset diabetes, early arthritis, liver disease, kidney disease. And the best selling items on the menus are "The Big Buford" 2 1/2 pound slabs of beef with 5 bacon strips, three slices of bread and 3 slabs of processed cheese. Who knows.

7. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    you could choke a donkey with that...

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Guess on the world stage, we don't pay all that much, but hell... $3.30 per gallon sucks really bad.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/price.html

Thank goodness that we don't have $6.00 per gallon prices as some european countries do... Which leads me back to the main point of this thread... Wondering what king of mileage those smaller European cars get... (in MPG)??

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    hehe.. here's an excerpt from another article:

The price of gas varies around the world, due to the vagaries of exchange rates but mostly because of taxes and subsidies. Assuming your car gets 35 miles per gallon, here is how far $20 of gas will take you in various countries around the world:

Germany: 127 miles
    Japan: 147 miles
    United States: 342 miles
    China: 385 miles
    Saudi Arabia: 771 miles
    Venezuela: 4,624 miles

The data are from Foreign Policy, March/April 2005, p.18.

10. Aryx

Aryx MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Okay, where and how much? :D Sounds like the Ultamate Cheeseburger at Jack in the Box. Or as I call it, God's Perfect Burger :)

11. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Gilg, you might want to look at the Toyota Prius. They get about 50 mpg and have about the same interior room as a midsized car.

12. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    good lord... Venezuela is making out better than Kate Hudson's underwear

13. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:

Nice. :nod:

14. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    that's in-town only, so if you do a lot of freeway driving, you don't get anything near 50mpg. the electric part only kicks in at slow speeds. if you're waiting at a light, you use virtually no gas. if you're going 70mph, the electric part stays off.

15. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I like the Volkswagen tdi.
    :D

16. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Diesel engines are apparently going to make a comeback. They get better gas mileage, and last longer. And new technology has quieted them down some, and reduced the nasty black crap that comes out of the exhaust.

17. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Buy a motorcycle.

18. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    I think the Mileage is actually 56 city / 50 Highway

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Have one already... I use it for fun driving, not taking the kids around, driving the wife to work, grocery shopping...

It really sucks that I pay now for a tank of gas on the bike what I used to pay for a tank of gas for my car...

Hitometer: 53,936,032 since 1995