Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

g5 news

Discussion in 'Mac' started by cowofwar, Nov 5, 2001.

1. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    On Wednesday, MPC 8500 revision 0.6 was received. This revision fixes a cache bug, and has improved altivec peformance to 85% of the 7460 G4's at equal Mhz that are now in production. This is up a whole 50%. There have also been some minor changes with changing the positioning of the L1 and L2 cache on the die. The majority of G5's in this lot that functioned ran at 1Ghz, 1.2Ghz, and 1.4Ghz, with a considerable number running at 1.6Ghz, and 2 chips tested at 2.4Ghz! The goal is to bump this up one step before release, which there is confidence in happening.
    There is another source of optimism: SGI is very interested in the G5 for its future workstations. It wants to abandon development of its MIPS line of microprocessors in the near future citing that it can no longer recoup its development costs, and produce a competitively priced UNIX workstation at the same time.
    There is however another source of irritation that has developed between Apple and Motorola: The 7460 G4's are now in volume production, and Motorola has enough available to give the G4 another speed bump as we speak in speeds up to 1.33 Ghz, but Apple does not want to do this because it just released an updated G4 lineup, and it does not want to have excess inventory of Power Mac G4's on hand if it can start offering the Power Mac G5 early next year. This means that Motorola will have to carry this 7460 inventory until Apple releases the next generation Powerbook G4 at Macworld Tokyo. This powerbook will essentially be the same as the 667Mhz model except that it will sport the 7460 G4 which has lower power consumption than the 7440.
    Revision 0.7 of the G5 is due out within the next two weeks. It will consist of changing the placement of various components on the die, and a small Altivec bug fix.
    Apple has shipped revision 0.5 G5's Macs to all its key developers. The prototypes are in plain beige PC cases. The prototype program Apple has is that Apple ships a new revised logic board to the developer, and they simply send back the old logic board. This time, the returned logic boards will simply receive a 0.6 G5, and will be sent to another developer. There are 500 machines out there, and with this revision, the aim is to bring it up to 1,500.
    One feature of the Book E architecture is certainly going to make Virtual PC users happy. An alpha version of an upcoming release of Virtual PC provides 1GHZ PIII performance on a G5 running at 1.4GHZ.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i saw that... nothing for sure though... just another annonymous source. t'would be cool though.

3. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    It sure would. Although it's going to be a long time before I get another comp. :(

4. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Where did that come from?

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  6. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
  7. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    False rumor

I don't believe that Apple would choose not to update its G4 desktops with faster chips because they "recently" went to 867MHz. I know Apple is not that stupid. If there were 1.33GHz 7460s in huge supply, they'd either be in desktops now or they will be soon. Waiting for the G5 to materialize instead is the worst mistake Apple can make. Unless Motorola is mass producing the chip right NOW, there will not be sufficent yields in time for the next Mac World. If the G5 is really this far along, expect to it in desktops this summer. Inventories be dammed! Apple can't afford to hold off upgrading its desktops until then. I just don't think Apple is that stupid. It makes me question how true all of this is.

One interesting thing to note: If SGI is truely interested in adopting the G5, Apple will no longer be the only Motorola customer intrested in high-end applications. Given the fact that every visual effects studio in existance uses SGI rendering farms, this may force Motorola to become a more aggresive chip player. They can't just sit on their asses and expect keep SGI happy.

8. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    All I need now is VPC to support graphics cards, and I can avoid getting a PC altogether.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i am extremely skeptical about the vpc performance bit.

10. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Im still skeptical about that entire message. We'll see.
    Anyways, I decided Im still gonna get a PC.

11. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    I could see Apple releasing some nice really cheap G4's this next MacWorld to use up the 7460s and then BOOM! G5.

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Or better yet (and long similiar lines), make the G4 the "budget" chip and the G5 the "performance" chip, thus G4 replaces G3.

--Haite

13. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Wait wait... hold everything... teh besto is yet to come...

We're getting reports that appear to confirm that Apple has indeed begun to distribute PowerPC 8500-based development systems to its main third-party software partners.

It's tricky to confirm the accuracy of these reports without sufficient material to cross-check their claims, but circumstantially they seem plausible. But we'd caution against taking them as gospel.

Our correspondents essentially confirm that the company has shipped 1.2GHz, 1.4GHz and 1.6GHz 8500s - aka the G5 - to developers in standard PC-style ATX cases, though one source claimed to have received a G5 in an Apple El Capitan case design featured in the Graphite Power Mac G4.

One source, allegedly from Adobe, told us: "We have four 1.6GHz machines with the Photoshop and After Effects teams, and several 1.2 and 1.4GHz machines on every team."

And: "The early motherboards use a modification of the old bus, and the new machines have a 400MHz bus with HyperTransport elements. All of them support DDR RAM, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394b and ATA 133."

Another mole notes: "The heatsink looks similar to the one on the dual G4 800s, including an on-chip fan and the h/w specs pdf file I have suggest that there may be a few interesting hardware additions."

We also have some (basic) performance information, which appears to confirm that the G5 is indeed significantly faster than G4-class processors and other processors. "The machines we have here are much faster than Pentium 4s in every single task," notes our Adobe insider.

Since the "P4 is far faster [than the G4] in most tests except for AltiVec-optimised tasks", that's a good sign.

AltiVec isn't too hot, though, with one correspondent claiming that has "hasn't had much of a play with the AltiVec stuff yet, but your source is correct in that it doesn't appear to be quite up to the same snuff as Apollo [the third-generation G4-class Power PC 7460]". ยจ

14. XWRed1

XWRed1 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Whats this? Its ok to admit that the P4 is better once you start fawning over rumours of the next cpu in the pipeline? Puh-leeze!

15. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    wulf didnt say that, the adobe guy said that.

16. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    actually putting G4's in iMacs would be smart, giving iMacs are still the bulk of the market right? With AltiVecless G3s...pushing an AltiVec iMac we may see a good increase in support, that's the G4's biggest failure as I see it, a lack of widespread Altivec support that is.

17. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    G4s are much hotter and the iMac doesn't have adequate cooling.

18. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    So what? I nice fat heatsink and/or fan will do the job. Just ask AMD and Intel. :laugh:

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    we have g4 powerbooks, don't we?

20. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I don't. :( But the G3 isn't all bad. :D

Hitometer: 53,828,965 since 1995