Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Frustrating reinstall...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MisterHalleck, Nov 29, 2005.

1. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Got a 120gb seagate hard drive for $30 on black friday. Now I've installed winxp onto it, and it managed to name itself the "F:" drive, and my old storage drive (which was D: forever) to "H:". Frickin' A... most programs have default install paths to C: and it's going to be annoying to have to click those extra buttons to change install paths while I reinstall every damn app that I had...

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I don't know how to change drive letters. :(

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    No they don't. Only really really old programs have hard coded C:\ install paths. All modern programs use your boot drive.

Definitely wouldn't suggest renaming your boot drive post windows install. That'll mess so many things up.

Also you change drive letters in control panels --> administrative tools --> dives or something

I'm on a school computer so I can't check.

Jakeman likes this.
  4. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    It's very easy to change drive letters. Control Panel-administrator-computer management, then just look around for it. I know how to do that no problem.

The catch is that you can't change the drive letters for any system drives.

I just disconnected my other hard drives, and quickformatted the new one, so it's the only drive on the bus, thus reverting to C: by default when I reinstalled XP the second time. Only lost an hour of my precious time... :p

And no, the default path does not revert to your boot drive. The ATI display drivers as well as my motherboard utility install disc both wanted to use C: at first (luckily, they can now).

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    My boot drive is D:\ and I've never had an install program trying to install to C:\

6. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    patching uxtheme and getting my iBar theme up and running was a bitch too. First uxtheme wouldn't patch correctly, then the themexp.org tried to install 3 - THREE! adware toolbars with a single file.

Deleting registry keys is a pain in the ass. Thank god McAffee had a datum about the one that got through - all I had to do was manually go around and delete the offending hidden files and keys.

Remind me to trace the ip for whoever put that shit in with the theme file so I can hunt him down and fill his computer with adware toolbars.

Hitometer: 53,935,620 since 1995