Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Frequent freezes

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jedsia, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Do any of you guys have any advice for me, my computer keeps freezing, at least once or twice a day, I don't know how many good items I've lost because of freezes. I've run Mac Tests Pro, rebuilt desktop, zapped the pram, sifted through my extensions and I'm at a loss.
    Any suggestions I haven't tried yet? I'm running 8.06, have 104 ram plus VM on, Diablo is given minumum 70, preferred 100 megs and I have 4 gigs of empty space on my hardrive.

------------------
    "A mage's soul is forged in the crucible of the magic"

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    freezes can be so many things. 95% of the time it's software related. So, of course, the ultimate and extreme solution is to wipe and reload your HD. On the hardware side for the other %5 here are the possibilities: processor not seated right, RAM not seated right, bad RAM, etc. There are lots more but these are the most common. If you feel inclined you can take out and put back in both your RAM chips and processor and see what happens. Also, if you are alocating extra memory to Diablo 2 make sure there is a reasonable amount left. Sometimes if you hog all the available RAM for one app it will screw with the Finder in the background.

And lastly, is the problem only in Diablo 2? Because my Diablo 2 app gives me type 2 errors every time while the rest of my programs run perfectly. Blizzard has told me this is a problem with Mac Diablo 2 that they are working to fix in a later update.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

3. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    No, it dos it all the time, alot of time it freezes on start-up. I hate to wipe the hardrive, I did that about 6 months ago, but I can try it.
    Thanks for the input

------------------
    "A mage's soul is forged in the crucible of the magic"

Hitometer: 53,585,364 since 1995