Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

freedom fries?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Mar 12, 2003.

1. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: Re: Re: Who's Smarter

about bad grades? I can get you that

2. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-md.edbeat19jan19,0,7280227.column?coll=bal-local-headlines

I don´t know anything about the source...

"Legacy, not grades, got Bush into Yale

When he was admitted to Yale University, George W. Bush was what higher educators call a "legacy." That is, he got in not because of his high school grades and stellar SAT scores, but because his father and grandfather had gone to Yale.

Last week, this child of white wealth and privilege said he opposed the admissions scheme at the University of Michigan that takes applicants' race (among other things) into account. Such admissions plans, Bush said, "amount to a quota system that unfairly rewards or penalizes prospective students based on their race." "

3. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    First, Mr. Bush never was a strong student. His transcript at Yale, leaked to The New Yorker, shows that he was a solid C student. Although a history major, he sampled widely in the social sciences and did poorly in political science and economics while achieving some of his best grades (the equivalent of a B+) in philosophy and anthropology. (The anthropology class, however, was taught by Margaret Mead that year and was enormously popular because she offered among the easiest grades at Yale.)

Mr. Bush was not much of a student of politics, for he earned only a 73 in Introduction to the American Political System and a 71 in Introduction to International Relations. Few, if any, professors seem to have left a mark on him, or he on them.

We must also remember that going to Yale isn't like going to the University of Texas. Much harder. But at least he got through it, which is more than I can say for alot of people who try.

About affirmative action, it's a flawed system. The idea behind it is good, but the mechanics of it need some work.

4. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    Thank you.

Remember one thing though, if a teacher has the child of a president does that affect his/hers ability to give him the grade he deserves. I think i´ts highly possible that his grades were higher then if he were black and from the working class.

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i'm a jake

6. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    You can't manipulate grades in education institutions, even private ones. They have entire ethics boards and moral departments. The teacher would have been fired. A student earns a statistical grade on a test, that's that. Writings are judged against a rhubric, that also is that. Grades aren't just made up based on how well the teacher thinks the student does, they're statistics. He got his degree. He's not the best public speaker, either.

7. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    that's possible, but didnt he graduate before 1988?

8. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    lol, good point. Class of '68. :D

That's way before Bush Sr was even a Vice Pres.

9. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Bush was denied admissions to the University of Texas, Austin. So how exactly did he get into Yale and Harvard?

Oh, here is some proof:
    http://www.whitehouse.org/administration/georgew.asp

10. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    so you´re saying that the grades are only decided by the tests?

student A is a good student, he´s active in class does his homework and get good results on the tests
    when it´s time for the final paper about the whole course he fails miserably (he might´ve had a bad day, his dog died, anything...)
    Should you ignore all he has done before?

Student B is a bad student, he get´s C´s on all the tests inculding the final
    will the teacher get fired for giving him an B
    i think not

11. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    he were still the son of a wealthy man
    my point remains valid

mud: you almost had me fooled there
    I thought it was authentic and nearly throwed up

12. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    so what you're saying is that because his father has money, he didnt earn anything? i mean.. if he had all A's maybe i'd buy into that.. but if you're gonna bribe somebody.. why not go for at least a B-?

13. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    All work is graded statistically. I'm not just talking about standardized testing, and I'm not just talking about weekly material tests either. Homework answers are either right or wrong, the teacher can't just make a grade up for the paper. Essay material is judged against an assignment rhubric, as are class projects. Tests have answer keys. I don't know how education works in Sweden, but in America teachers don't "give" grades, the student does the work, it's graded and his grade is based on a point system. Here is my entire quarter (since starting Jan. 7th 2003) in Latin III, it shows all the work we've done, and percentile grades. I did that work, I earned those grades, the stuff was either right or wrong. The teacher didn't just "give" me a grade. Test 3.15 shows a grade higher than 100% because it was curved.

http://members.cox.net/pdowney/pics/latin_grade.png

14. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    All students are assigned a confidential student number. No where does the prof have access to both your name and student number, all you are is a number, they can't discriminate unless they try really hard.

15. Beeble

Beeble Peasant

Market Rating:
    You suck at the quiz 1.12.

16. phukket

phukket Peasant

Market Rating:
    Truth be told

Anything higher than passing is not really needed.

What do you call the med student who graduates LAST in class?

Doctor

My two rules of school

1. School does not teach you about your chosen major, it is an introduction to that major. What school really teaches you, is how to deal with an immovable, illogical, and unchangeable bureaucracy, and to get what you need from it.

Consider it preparation for dealing with social security

2. School is for people who do not have connections, once you are through with school, you have connections

17. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Kraahl... There will be no convincing you of any other point of view and your arguements are becoming more fractured and wild as you go. Nothing against you... but PLEASE stop talking out your ass.

18. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    I am not talking out of my ass. I don´t know much about you system, I shall tell you how our work.

Tests and assignments are graded between IG-G-VG-MVG, G is a passing grade, IG is failing. In most subject we have national tests which usually have a big impact on the grade.
    The teacher gives us the grade by judging and weighing our test results and work during classes.
    In some subjects the tests are very important (math for example) and in some less. In some subjects there´s a lot of discussions, and those should of coarse affect the grades (things like philosophy for instance)

We used to have a system with numbers like 1-5.
    And there were a statiscital numbers how how many students should have 1 and how many should have a 5. If a teacher gave his/hers student in a particular calss many 5 (highest) he would have to explain him/herself.
    This was very unfair, because if you were in a very good class you had a harder time getting high grades.

Todays system is not without flaw, however.

If you in an american school study is subject that is discussion heavy, would the students engagement in those debates affect the grade?

19. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    not bribed
    he got into yale because his father and grandfather went there
    that´s what i think

20. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    and what if you write an essay, there are no keys for them
    the teacher judge them

Hitometer: 53,946,814 since 1995