Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Free GF3 cards for all...but Auto.

Discussion in 'Mac' started by gekko, Apr 7, 2001.

1. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well Apple just emailed me today. My PC crashed when i first saw it so i had to wait for it to reboot. Now when Apple emails me it has to be good right. It means something has shipped, and the only thing left is my G4.

Anyway, Windows boots itself up, gives me a few blue screen errors and then i go back to that email. Apple said nVidia is having longer-than-expected delays :( Here comes a longer wait. But they are offering me some options, and very good options if you ask me.

Apple will ship my G4 with a GeForce2 MX card, and then when the GeForce3 card kit is avaliable in late May they will send me that free of charge. As you might have expected, i chose this option over waiting for the GeForce3 or canceling my order.

Now i prefer the Radeon, but knowing nVidia is the one causing the delays, they are also the ones saying sorry by giving out the free card. So now i'm getting my G4 next week, and knowing the GF3 was $350 more, i'm saving $250 on a GeForce3 card and getting a free GeForce2 MX card in the process.

Now Auto may be all happy he switched to a Radeon, but just think, if you would've waited a week you would've got a free GeForce2 card while waiting and still got the GeForce3 when it came out. Damn, it's sure a good day for me :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2001
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  3. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    since i hate nvidia with a passion, this matters not. i hope they actually ship in may, just enough time for people to buy them before the Radeon MAXX comes out

4. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Funny how you hated nVidia with a passion yet you ordered your G4 with a Geforce3. Then you got sick of waiting so you decided to take the Radeon. Now if you would've waited one more week they would've given you a GeForce2 MX card while you wait yet you still get the Geforce3 for free.

And i find it really funny how you think the Radeon MAXX will come on Mac, and make a difference. Take a look at ATI's PC lineup, see that Radeon 64MB DDR? Never made it on Mac, yet you expect this Radeon MAXX to?

It seems to me that only the major cards go on Mac. Geforce2 MX by all means isn't the best GeForce2 card, but nVidia never put GeForce2 Ultra on Mac. Radeon 32MB isn't ATI's best Radeon card, and they never put the 64MB DDR card on Mac. I wouldn't expect anything from ATI until Radeon II.

Throw as many Radeon chips on one board as you want, for the many upcoming games being designed for GeForce3's programmable engine, the Geforce3 still will outperform the Radeon MAXX in terms of quality and more than likely performance.

Now i do think Radeon II will blow everything away, and i'll probably look into getting one. But if Radeon II doesn't read the same programmable code that is written for the Geforce3 and more, it will never go anywhere. If Radeon II takes one kind of code, and Geforce3 takes another, the programmers will write it for Geforce3. nVidia has much better cards than ATI on PC, and gaming is much bigger for PC. So, naturally, the developers are going to make it work with the Geforce3, and that game will get ported over to Mac.

The Radeon II has a chance to kill the Geforce3 if it plays its cards right, but from May to whenever the Radeon II actually hits the market, you'll feel sorry you canceled your order. Wait, i'm talking to Auto. He'll just buy a new G4 after Macworld anyway, so it's not a big deal. DIE! :evil:

5. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    ATI shot themselves in the foot, and they realize this..expect a huge turnaround from them.. you also need to know that i'm not just talking out my ass here.. i get a lot of my information from the HEAD of apple sales on the east coast, and what i cant get out of him i get from a hardware engineer that works at apple.

...and about ordering the GeForce3 with my G4, i was stunned by the footage i saw, the programmable features, and the insane processing power... BUT then i realized that it would be a LONG time before games were taking advantage of all the programmable features because of the high cost of the card and limited availability. Radeon II reading GeForce3's programmable code has nothing to do with anything.. when was the last time you saw a game only support ONE video card? UT as an example has specific components to talk to glide and RAVE cards, then OpenGL for the rest and software mode for the weenies.

if nVidia has better cards then ATi on PC, why do you have a Radeon?

all i have to say is 'Hyper-Z'

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    hyper z IS pretty pimp. But ATI needs to get better drivers out. This is one area where nVidia owns. Their detonator drivers are pimp.

7. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I own a Radeon cause it was cheaper and i couldn't find GeForce2 Ultra at the time.

8. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    ATi makes me sick... they taunt us with their PC versions of their cards, and say... well maybe we'll get around to throwing you guys a stripped down, weak POS version of the card... but then again maybe we will just make you wait for the next card after that one, or better yet... lets wait till then to release a new version of the DRIVERS for our older cards,... yeah, then they wouldn't notice that we didn't bother to bring our new hardware to the macintosh... I'm sorry Auto, but after ATi's track record... I'm suprised that even you would support them...

9. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    i feel like im arguing over OS's here... how many times has apple made us wait then put out something that completely blows us away? i agree that ATi has been really shitty to us in the past.. but thats why apple made the deal with nvidia, they wanted some competition for innovation and advancement. the reason ATi didnt put much effort into the mac community is because they didnt HAVE to.. we were stuck with their cards no matter what. now that we have options they'll get off their asses to ship something that will be so incredible that we'd have no choice but to buy one

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    competition is good.

Hitometer: 53,853,663 since 1995