Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Free firewall?

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Keeksy, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Does OS X come with a firewall? If not, does a third-party have a free one that will run in OS X. I don't even care if it's a Linux app as long as it works.

2. Zephor

Zephor Peasant

Market Rating:
    i dont know if zonealarm works for macs but it works pretty well and its free

3. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    No Zone Alarm is PC only. I'm running it on my soon to be sold Beast Box.

4. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I know that 10 has firewall functionality built in. Apparently it is mighty difficult to configure. There are 2 apps that I know of that will configure it for you. The better one is Brickhouse. It is shareware, if you have serialsurfer it may have a code in it. I have an older version of the serials and it isn't there, but maybe in a recent one.

Go to www.macosxapps.com for a list of all the stuff that is out there. I think the firewall apps are in the "utilities" folder, not the "internet" folder.

I haven't really run brickhouse yet, but intend to try it and maybe register it legit sometime soon.

5. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hey thanks! Do you think it might be worth purchasing the OS X Bible, so I don't have to ask so many questions? It could tell you how to set up the firewall and other features, right?

6. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I never looked at the Bible but would assume that it would tell you how to do that. From what I understand it is all configured from the terminal if you are not using a GUI to configure it, as in the case with Brickhouse, pleasant interface for the terminally-challenged.

I am not too sure how reliable a measure it is, but you can at least run this and see what it tells you about your system.

http://www.earthlink.net/home/tools/freescan/

I still run netbarrier on 9.2.2, nothing at the moment on 10.1.1 (the security scan said that I was in good shape, no immediate security problems), but I would like something there. I wish that blackICE was also out for the Mac. I use it on the PC and I like it!

7. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    GOD IS L33T H4X0R!

8. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    aw geez... thx! *me blushes* :o

Hitometer: 53,849,868 since 1995